This coconut flan only has three ingredients and looks wonderful when cooked.
What is Quindim?
This is a Brazilian dessert that I came across in an effort to use up all the egg yolks I have left over after making healthy bread (which uses egg whites). There is a limit to how much mayonnaise we can eat, so I looked for another way to use egg yolks and voila! I replaced the sugar in the traditional recipe with erythritol. You could used your sweetner of choice instead. It looks like you slaved away in the kitchen for ages too!
Quindin is baked in a Bain Marie (water bath) and the coconut rises to the top while it's baking. The cakes are then flipped out of the molds to reveal their golden cap of custard. You can use a mini muffin tin, but I thought I would use my donut tin to make the dessert extra pretty. Plus I like desserts in donut shape! When cooked the coconut settles to the top of the tin and the egg mixture settles but it looks like a jelly mixture.
Other low carb coconut desserts
Keto Coconut Flan - Quindim
- 6 medium egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons erythritol
- 6 tablespoons desiccated coconut unsweetened
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Butter the pan (either a min muffin or donut pan).
- Place the egg yolks and erythritol in a bowl and whisk well.
- Gradually add the coconut and whisk thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the donut or muffin pan and bake in a bain marie (double bath) for 30 minutes, until the top is golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before removing from the pan.
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information