This keto coconut cream pie is a delicious and satisfying dessert that's perfect for anyone on a low-carb or keto diet. With its creamy coconut filling and crispy gluten-free coconut flour crust, it's sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without derailing your diet.
Coconut cream pie is a classic dessert that many people love, but for those following a keto diet, the traditional recipe is off-limits due to its high carb content. Fortunately, with a few tweaks, it's possible to create a keto-friendly version that still delivers all the creamy, coconutty goodness of the original.
This keto dessert is great for coconut lovers. It's a creamy slice of coconut that is better the next day when the flavors develop.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
IS COCONUT KETO FRIENDLY?
One cup of shredded unsweetened coconut contains approximately 7 grams of net carbs, which is relatively low compared to other fruits and sweeteners. Coconut also contains a high amount of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are a type of healthy fat that can be quickly converted into ketones by the liver and used for energy.
WHAT'S A COCONUT CREAM PIE
To be honest, I never had a coconut cream pie as a child as it was not widely available in the UK. So making a low carb version of this was as treat for me as I love coconut and a creamy dessert!
Coconut cream pie is a classic American dessert that is typically made with a buttery pastry crust filled with a creamy custard made with coconut milk or cream, sugar, and eggs, topped with whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes. The filling is usually thickened with cornstarch or flour and flavored with vanilla extract or coconut extract to enhance the coconut flavor.
HOW MANY CARBS ARE IN COCONUT CREAM PIE?
A traditional coconut cream pie can contain a high amount of carbohydrates due to the sugar and flour used in the recipe.
On average, a single slice of coconut cream pie can contain anywhere from 30-50 grams of carbohydrates, with most of the carbs coming from the sugar and flour in the filling and crust.
We make a low carb coconut custard and a cream topping with these ingredients.
- Keto Pie Crust - I used our coconut flour pie crust but other low carb recipes could be used.
- Coconut milk - canned, not from a carton.
- Cream - heavy or whipping cream
- Sweetener - we use allulose but any other low carb sweetener such as monk fruit or Swerve can be used.
- Egg yolks - at room temperature
- Xanthan Gum - this helps thicken the custard and is a low carb alternative to cornstarch.
- Unsweetened Coconut flakes - or unsweetened desiccated coconut. They could be toasted for extra flavor.
- Butter - unsalted
- Coconut extract - adds to the coconut flavor. You make want to add more for your own taste.
HOW TO MAKE KETO COCONUT CREAM PIE
This is a simple keto coconut cream pie recipe in just a few steps. We assuming that you have already made the pie crust (or purchased one if you are lucky enough to find low carb pie crusts in your stores).
- Make the coconut custard filling
- Chill and fill a pie crust
- Top with whipped cream and chill
Whisk and boil the coconut milk and cream.
Add the coconut cream mix to egg yolk beaten with sweetener.
Return to the pan, cook, then add butter, coconut and flavorings.
Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and cool.
Once the coconut custard has cooled, pour it into a keto pie crust then chill for at least an hour. Ideally chill the pie overnight. Then it's just whipping up the cream topping to pipe and serve.
Keep the sugar-free coconut cream pie in the fridge and it should last up to 4 days. It's a great pie to make ahead and serve the next day.
- Use a chocolate keto pie crust for a delicious contrast in flavor.
- Coconut cream could be used in place of the coconut milk.
- To enhance the coconut flavor and add texture to the filling, sprinkle unsweetened shredded coconut or toasted coconut flakes on top of the whipped cream.
- Ensure that the egg yolks are at room temperature.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you want to freeze the pie, chill the pie without the topping, then wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer. Defrost in the fridge and add the whipped cream topping when you are ready to serve.
Any other low carb pie crust made with almond flour, pecan flour or lupin flour can be used.
Although we have not yet tried it, the xanthan gum can be replaced with psyllium husk powder, cornstarch (although this will alter the carb content) or gelatin.
MORE KETO COCONUT DESSERTS
For lovers of coconut, we have a few more low carb coconut desserts you may like.
Coconut Cake With Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
Keto Coconut Cream Pie
- 14 oz coconut milk, canned
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup coconut flakes or unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- ½ cup allulose or other low carb sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks room temperature
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract (maybe more to taste)
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons allulose or other low carb sweetener
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, add the egg yolks, sweetener and xanthan gum. Whisk until the mixture is thick and light.
- In a medium saucepan add the coconut milk, cream and salt in a saucepan. Bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cream mixture from the heat and allow to slightly cool.
- Add ½ cup of the cream mixture at a time to the egg mixture whilst whisking until you have a smooth custard.
- Return the saucepan on a medium-low heat and whisk for 5 minutes until the custard mixture thickens.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the butter, vanilla, coconut extra, shredded coconut. Stir well until the butter has melted.
- Pour the coconut custard into a large bowl and cover with cling wrap to stop the formation a pudding skin. Leave for 30minutes and occasionally stir.
- Pour the thickened custard into a baked pie crust and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to chill and set.
- In a medium bowl, add the topping ingredients and whisk until thick.
- Spoon or pipe the cream on top of the coconut pie. Decorate to your own tastes (toasted coconut flakes, chocolate shavings for example)
- Chill until you are ready to serve.
Leave a Reply