These low carb and gluten free cinnamon sticks are just so moreish that you will not be able to stop at one! Or maybe I was extra hungry after smelling the cooking as the scent of cinnamon cooking is one of my favourite smells.
I used my beloved coconut flour and a dash of psyllium husk powder to give this recipe a dough like mixture. I am yet to try this with almond flour and would think that it should work just as good but just reduce the water as 1 cup may be too much.
As ever when making a dough with psyllium husk powder add the water a bit at a time as varieties of coconut flour and psyllium husk powder do vary. You may not need as much I as used.
There is something about the cream cheese topping that just goes so perfectly with the cinnamon sticks too. If you have any left over, put it in a dish and dip the breadsticks in. You will not be dissapointed! I shall await my thank you letters for this suggestion….ha ha!
- 1/2 cup (56g) coconut flour
- 4 tablespoons (56g) butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon (9g) psyllium ground powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 tablespoons erythritol (50g) (or sugar substitute)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2oz (56g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground erythritol (or sugar substitute)
- 1 teaspoon water
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Mix the coconut flour, baking powder, salt and psyllium powder in a bowl and combine well.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, vanilla essence, 2 tablespoons erythritol and the eggs. Mix thoroughly until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Boil the water and add to the mixture a bit at a time, stirring thoroughly until you have a dough.
- Cut the dough into eight pieces. Take one of the pieces and roll out into a 6 inch log.
- Mix 2 tablespoons erythritol, 2 tablespoons butter and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon in a bowl.
- Dip the breadsticks into the butter mixture and coat well on both sides.
- Place the breadsticks on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning over after 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Blend the cream cheese, ground erythritol together with the water, adding any more if necessary for the topping. Drizzle this over the breadsticks.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Nutritional Info - Per Breadstick - 124 Calories, 9g Fat, 1g Protein, 8g Carbs, 3g Fibre, 3g Net Carbs