This keto butter pecan ice cream is a rich creamy sugar free ice cream. Toasted pecans in sweetened butter are folded into a creamy keto ice cream for a delicious dessert.
We made this both in an ice cream maker and also as a no churn. Both tasted good but boy, was the ice cream maker the creamiest and smoothest ice cream. It made me want the ice cream maker machine as a permanent feature on my kitchen top!
How to make keto butter pecan ice cream
Making this sugar free ice cream has 5 steps:
- Make the custard based ice cream
- Toast the pecans and coat with butter
- Churn the ice cream in an ice cream machine.
- Add the pecans
For the low carb sweetener I used the Besti Brown Monk Fruit Sweetener. It helped give an extra flavour to the ice cream and the pecans just as regular brown sugar would. If you don't have this, then I would recommend allulose instead as that does not develop crystals when frozen.
Making a no churn butter pecan ice cream
You could follow the recipe as per the recipe card below and skip the churn in an ice cream maker step. Once you have folded in the pecans, place in the freezer in a sealed container and freeze for at least 5 hours. Take the container out every hour to stir the mixture to reduce the amount of ice crystals.
Another no churn recipe is to not make the egg custard based ice cream as I have below but whisk cream and add a cup of my sugar free condensed milk in place of the coconut milk. Once the pecans are toasted and cooled, add to cream mixture and freeze.
This has fast become one of my favourite ice cream flavours. It's not something that I would have chosen in an ice cream shop (back in my sugary days) but now I would happily enjoy a bowl for breakfast!
Okay, I did enjoy some for breakfast. I had to shoot the photos in the morning before the sun got hot here. It's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
The coconut milk can be substituted with almond milk or half and half cream. It will reduce the calories. I use coconut milk as it has a higher fat content that helps give a creamy texture.
The ice cream will last in the freezer for up to 3 months in an airtight container. You will need to soften it before serving.
More keto ice cream recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Ice Cream Base
- 2 cups cream heavy/whipping
- 1 cup coconut milk tinned
- 3 medium egg yolks
- ½ cup brown sweetener other low carb sweetener could be used
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vodka optional
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sweetener other low carb sweetener could be used
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Make the Ice Cream
- Pour the cream and coconut milk in a saucepan on a medium heat. Do not let it boil but heat it for about 3-5 minutes.
- As the cream is heating, whisk the eggs, vanilla and brown sweetener together.
- Remove the cream from the heat and allow to cool for a minute (you don't want a scrambled egg mixture). Gently pour into the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Pour this mixture back into the saucepan on a medium heat and whisk for 5 to 10 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken slightly.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the vodka and stir(optional).
- Allow to cool or place in the fridge for faster cooling.
- Pour into the canister of an ice-cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions
Toasting the Pecans
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Place the pecan on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes, checking that they are not burning half way through.
- Remove from the oven and place in a small bowl.
- Pour the butter over them and add the brown sweetener and salt. Mix until the pecans are all covered in the butter mixture.
- Set aside to cool.
Assemble & Freeze
- Once the ice cream has been churned and is a creamy smooth texture, fold in the pecan mixture. Chop the nuts if you prefer (I kept mine chunky).
- Spoon the ice cream in an airtight container and place in the freezer for at least an hour, preferably several hours.
- To serve, if the cream is too hard, allow to soften at room temperature for 5-15 minutes.