A low carb coconut flour flat bread that works with either a sweet or savoury filling. It is very flexible so can be rolled up and used in recipes such as enchiladas. Or a quick low carb pizza base too. I enjoy it as a bread with dips or filled with cheese and coleslaw.
This is an old recipe of my mine that I thought that I would revisit and update. It's rather scary how old it is and how long I have overlooked it too. So many recipes, not enough time! I must add a very British "Oi! I know what you did last summer too" to the food blogger who has recently been showcasing this recipe as their own. Not cool man. Use my recipes by all means but strap on a pair and credit your source.
It is difficult for me to put this coconut flour flatbread into a category as they can be slightly sweet due to the coconut flour, but are versatile enough to be used as a savoury flat bread. They do have a delicate coconut taste, so if you want to use them as a sandwich wrap use a filling that would compliment the coconut flavour, perhaps some shredded chicken, lemon mayonnaise and lettuce? You decide, you're the one eating it, not me. I recently had mine with some Roasted Red Pepper dip - very tasty!
The mixture of this coconut flour flatbread is fairly thick so you will need to spread it over the frying pan with a spatula as you pour it in. Be quick, be nimble and try your best to get a circle! Or be creative and quickly make a shape. If it ends up a strange shape, just confidently snap "that's what I was planning to do". I do it all the time in an assertive manner and am never questioned! Smother it with melted cheese and no-one will question you...
If you are making mayonnaise or ice cream and wondering what to do with the remaining egg whites rather than a boring egg white omelette, then whip a batch of these coconut flour flatbreads. Alternatively, if you are wondering what to do with the left over egg yolks after making this recipe you have a few options. Lemon curd is always a delicious option. Or a coconut dessert!
Coconut Flour Flatbread
- 2 Tablespoons (14g) coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- Whisk all ingredients until you have a smooth batter with no lumps.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat. Add about one tablespoon of butter and melt.
- Pour a third of the mixture into the pan and smooth out quickly with a spatula.
- Cook until the edges are brown, then flip over and cook the other side.
- Repeat for the rest of the batter.
- Fill with your filling of choice..sweet or savoury.
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.