This creamy keto ginger ice cream is made with fresh ginger and sugar-free candied ginger for a delicious dessert. The refreshing taste of ginger blends well with a rich mascarpone ice cream.
This ice cream is made in an ice cream machine but it can be as a no churn recipe. Just pop it into the fridge and stir every 30 minutes until it's set.
I prefer a custard based ice cream base for it's smooth texture as I find that it doesn't become too hard and icy. The addition to mascarpone for ice cream gives it a great creamy texture too.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Carbs in Ginger
Ginger can be used fresh or dried and is a great low carb plant to add to your food or boil a slice in water. It's low in calories and carbohydrates with a tablespoon of fresh ginger being just 1 gram of carbs.
Ginger is a great anti-inflammatory ingredient and it very popular in the Caribbean. We swear by fresh ginger tea for everything!
This is a simply egg based custard ice cream with a few ingredients.
- Cream - we use heavy cream or whipping cream
- Mascarpone - makes a great ice cream and needs to be softened at room temperature for a smoother ice cream.
- Allulose - our preferred low carb sweetener as it does not crystallize like monkfruit and erythritol does.
- Fresh Ginger - Finely great the peeled ginger stem
- Candied Ginger - We use a sugar free candied ginger recipe which is easy to make and great for baking or nibble on a piece as a snack.
How to Make Keto Ginger Ice Cream
Once the egg yolk custard has been made it is churned in an ice cream maker with the fresh ginger. The sugar-free candied ginger is added once the ice cream is ready to be frozen.
Whisk the egg yolks and allulose
Add mascarpone and freshly grated ginger
Churn the ice cream
Stir in the sugar free candied ginger
Add sugar free chocolate chips for a great flavor combination
The sugar free candied ginger can be replaced by a combination of gingerbread spices for an equally warm flavor.
Lime makes a great flavor combination with ginger too.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
A custard base ice cream helps with the creaminess but if you are unsure, add a shot of vodka to the churning stage to help prevent water crystals forming.
After separating the eggs for the yolks don't waste the egg whites. You could make an egg white omelette or use them in our coconut flour flat bread recipe.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, place the ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer. Remove every 30 minutes to stir to distribute the ice crystals until frozen consistency is obtained. This canan take about 4-5 hours.
More Low Carb Ice Cream Recipes
Ice cream is an easy dessert to make low carb. Swap the sugar with allulose or another low carb sweetener and you can enjoy a bowl of your favorite flavors. Try these other low carb ice cream recipes:
Keto Ginger Ice Cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- ½ cup allulose
- 7 oz mascarpone softened
- 9 oz heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons candied ginger, sugar-free recipe link in notes
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Prepare a medium pan with a few inches of water and simmer.
- In a medium glass bowl, whisk the egg yolks and allulose until smooth.
- Place the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water, ensuring that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Whisk for about 8 minutes until the mixture is thick, pale and fluffy.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool.
- Fold in the mascarpone cheese and freshly grated ginger and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk the cream into stiff peaks.
- Fold the cream into the mascarpone mixture and gently mix.
- Pour into the canister of an ice-cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Stir in the candied ginger and spoon the ice cream in an air tight container. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours until firm.
- Serve with chopped candied ginger.