Chicken kebabs are marinaded with lemon, cumin and mint for a refreshing summer dish with a Middle Eastern flavour.
The marinade of lemon, cumin and mint are a different choice but it gives the chicken kebabs a warm and light flavour. The cumin spices give the warm, the lemon and mint a refreshing taste.
Although I used chicken breast cut into chunks for this recipe, you could happily use the lemon, cumin and mint marinade on chicken wings or drumsticks. If you are using a cut of chicken with a bone, score the chicken with a sharp knife before adding the marinade to help the flavours develop.
Cumin is a spice with a warm, earthy and nutty flavour. It's often used in curries and has a few health benefits.
- Aids digestion and reduces the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
- Is a good source of iron
- May help blood sugar control
- Can aid inflamation
When you use cumin as a spice, it helps to increase your antioxidant intake, promotes digestion, provides iron, may improve blood sugar control and may reduce food-borne illnesses.
Other Chicken Recipes You May Enjoy
Chicken Lemon, Cumin & Mint Kebabs
- 2 chicken breasts skinless and no bone
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 2 tablespoons mint, fresh chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Mint, fresh for garnish
- Add the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Cut the chicken into chunks and place in the bowl. Spoon the marinade over thoroughly.
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (overnight gives great results)
- Push the chicken chunks onto skewers.
- Preheat the grill/BBQ and place the chicken skewers until the grill/on the BBQ remaining marinade.
- Remove and scatter the mint garnish over the chicken.
This recipe was originally published in 2014. I’ve updated the photos but the recipe is unchanged.