This easy baked feta chicken has the addition of sweet red peppers to make a tasty low carb and gluten free dinner. It's so simple but packed full of flavor and color.
Chicken breasts are smothered with seasoned feta and red pepper which keeps the chicken breast moist and tender. As simple, no fuss, chicken dish the family will love.
Well, this was a first! In my many, many years of cooking for the Chief Taster I have never received this applause. I baked this for him on a Sunday, and he had this on a Monday (he heated it up). I received a text excitedly describing the joys of this dish and how he could eat it again.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
What is Feta Cheese?
Feta cheese is a popular type of cheese originating from Greece. It is made from sheep's milk or a combination of sheep's and goat's milk. The exact carb content of feta cheese can vary depending on the brand and specific type, but typically, feta cheese contains a small amount of carbohydrates.
Carbs in Feta Cheese
On average, feta cheese contains less than 1 gram of carbohydrates per ounce (28 grams). The carbohydrate content primarily comes from lactose, a naturally occurring sugar in milk. However, during the cheese-making process, the lactose is fermented, which reduces the carb content.
This easy low carb chicken recipe has just a few ingredients you may already have in your fridge.
- Chicken breasts - we used skinless boneless chicken breasts but this recipe could be made with chicken thighs too.
- Red bell pepper - gives the dish a sweet flavor. Yellow or orange peppers could be used.
- Parsley - fresh basil can be substituted.
How to Make Baked Feta Chicken
This is a quick and simple dish to make. Even the Chief Taster could make it!
Season the chicken and place in a baking dish.
Mix feta, red pepper, lemon and parsley in a bowl.
Scatter the feta mixture over the chicken.
Bake the chicken and you are ready to eat.
If you have any leftovers, store the baked chicken in an air tight container in the fridge and it will last up to 2 days. Ideally, this is best served freshly baked. It does reheat well.
Baked feta chicken with red peppers is a delicious and versatile dish that can be prepared in various ways. Here are a few variations you can try:
- Greek-inspired: Marinate chicken breasts in a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper. Place the chicken in a baking dish with red pepper slices and chunks of feta cheese. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the feta is melted and lightly browned. Serve with a side of Greek salad and keto pita bread.
- Mediterranean twist: Season chicken thighs with a blend of dried basil, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Arrange the chicken in a baking dish with sliced red peppers and crumbled feta cheese. Drizzle olive oil over the top and bake until the chicken is tender and the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Spicy kick: Coat chicken drumsticks with a mixture of paprika, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper. Place the chicken in a baking dish with red pepper strips and chunks of feta cheese. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the feta is melted and slightly browned. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Italian-inspired: Season chicken breasts with dried Italian herbs, such as oregano, basil, and thyme, along with garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Arrange the chicken in a baking dish with red pepper slices and top with slices of feta cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted and golden. Serve with a green salad.
What to Serve with Baked Feta Chicken
This easy baked chicken recipe goes well with a simple green salad. To keep the flavors of summer going with this baked chicken dish serve with a side of patatas bravas, roasted asparagus and feta lemon coleslaw.
OTHER KETO CHICKEN RECIPES TO ENJOY
Chicken Baked with Feta & Red Pepper
- 4 Chicken breasts no bone/skin
- ¾ cup Feta Cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup Red pepper finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dried parsley
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Place the chicken in an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with half the lemon juice.
- Mix the Feta Cheese, red pepper and herbs in a bowl
- Sprinkle the cheese and pepper mixture over the chicken.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the remaining lemon juice over the chicken.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy (and perhaps enjoy a text from your husband raving about how tasty this is!)
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.