Keto Chicken Broccoli Soup is packed with tender chicken, vibrant broccoli and Cheddar cheese. This soup is not only satisfying but also a nutritional powerhouse.
With its creamy texture and rich taste, it's a perfect choice for a cozy dinner or a hearty lunch. Plus, it's easy to prepare and can be customized to suit your taste preferences.
I made this soup when the Chief Taster was under the weather and it served as pure comfort food for him.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
These ingredients can be changed to your own taste if you want.
- Chicken - we used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you could use any chicken parts. If you use any with bones, remove them before blending the soup.
- Broccoli - fresh or frozen broccoli florets.
- Stock or broth - chicken broth or stock is used but vegetable stock works well too.
- Onion - medium white onion.
- Garlic - always add more cloves for your own taste.
- Parmesan - This cheese could be substituted with another hard cheese.
- Heavy cream - also referred to as whipping cream. This could be replaced with almond milk.
- Cheddar Cheese - use a good quality and mature Cheddar cheese or sharp cheddar cheese for the flavor.
- Red pepper flakes - adds a touch of heat but can be omitted.
- Thyme - we used dried but fresh can be used.
- Butter - unsalted is preferable.
- Olive oil - avocado oil or coconut oil can also be used.
- Salt and pepper - adjust the quantities for your own taste.
How to make chicken broccoli soup
This is an easy soup to make with simple, healthy ingredients.
Saute onions and garlic.
Add chicken pieces and cook.
Add broccoli and chicken stock.
Add cream, cheddar cheese, then blend.
- Allow the soup to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
- Transfer the soup to an airtight container or sealable plastic bag.
- Label the container with the date for reference.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- If you want to store the soup for an extended period, consider freezing it.
- Allow the soup to cool completely in the refrigerator first.
- Portion the soup into individual airtight containers or freezer-safe bags, leaving some room for expansion.
- Seal tightly, removing as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn.
- Label containers with the date and contents.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
Thawing and Reheating
- To thaw frozen soup, place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Alternatively, you can thaw it in the microwave using the defrost function or by placing the container in a bowl of cold water.
- Reheat the soup on the stovetop over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally until it reaches your desired temperature.
- You can also use a microwave, heating in short intervals and stirring in between to ensure even heating.
For a faster soup, you could used shredded rotisserie chicken. Add it with the broccoli.
Swap the broccoli with cauliflower for another low carb soup.
To make this soup dairy free, omit the butter, replace the heavy cream with almond milk or coconut milk and replace the cheese with nutritional yeast. Vegan cheese could be used too.
- When reheating this broccoli cheese soup, ensure the soup reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F (73.9°C) to kill any potential bacteria.
- Discard any soup that has an off smell, unusual texture, or shows signs of spoilage.
- Always follow proper food safety guidelines to avoid foodborne illness.
What to serve with keto chicken broccoli soup
When serving Keto Chicken Broccoli Soup, you can complement it with a variety of low-carb side dishes to create a well-rounded and satisfying meal. Here are some keto-friendly options:
- Keto Salad: A simple side salad with fresh greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and a keto-friendly dressing (such as olive oil and vinegar) adds a refreshing crunch and extra nutrition.
- Cheese Crisps: Make homemade cheese crisps by baking or pan-frying cheese until it's crispy. They provide a satisfying crunch and are a great low-carb alternative to crackers.
- Avocado Slices: Avocado is a keto-friendly fruit that adds creaminess and healthy fats to your meal. Simply slice it and season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Zucchini Noodles: Swap traditional pasta for spiralized zucchini noodles (zoodles). Lightly sauté them in olive oil and garlic for a flavorful side dish.
- Cauliflower Rice: Prepare cauliflower rice by pulsing cauliflower florets in a food processor. Sauté it with some herbs and spices for a low-carb rice substitute.
- Keto Garlic Bread: Make a keto-friendly garlic bread using almond flour or coconut flour-based bread. It's a great option for dipping into the soup.
- Keto-Friendly Crackers: Look for keto-friendly crackers or crisps that are made from almond flour, coconut flour, or flaxseed. These can be served alongside the soup.
- Pickles or Olives: A few pickles or olives can add a tangy and salty element to balance the flavors of the soup.
Chicken Broccoli Soup
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat. dd the chopped onion and garlic, and sauté until they become translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cubed chicken to the pot, season with salt and black pepper, and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth into the pot. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the fresh broccoli florets, red chili pepper flakes and dried thyme to the pot. Continue simmering for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the broccoli is tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the heavy cream and unsalted butter. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat, and stir in the grated Parmesan cheese and Cheddar cheese until it's fully melted and the soup becomes creamy.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper if needed.
- Blend with a hand blender for a smooth and creamy soup. Leave unblended for a chunky soup.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.