Cheese biscuits that are crunchy on the outside, soft inside and have a delicious cheese and herb flavour. They melt in your mouth and you will not be able to stop at just one. It’s a good thing that these are low in carbs as well as being gluten free!
I have a cheese biscuit recipe made with almond flour but is best made with a food processor to make the biscuit dough. It blends the ingredients into such a smooth dough and is easy to work with. As my kitchen is still without a food processor I thought I’d try a new version of it. There is also a cheese biscuit recipe I have in my coconut flour eCookbook. Like a mad professor in a laboratory, I combined the two and added herb seasonings.
Sometimes when you are playing around with a recipe and adding ingredients you can see it take form and can be pretty confident that it will work by the texture of the mixture and the smells. The dough was initially a bit stickier than I had hoped but adding the coconut flour to this helped the texture to the dough I wanted it to be. Not using a food processor worked too! Just some good old fashioned elbow grease with the hands (washed of course) made a pliable dough!
This cheese biscuit recipe made 24 biscuits with my star cookie cutter. We could not get through the whole batch (not for the want of trying) so a lucky work colleague received a few. Others were put into a Tupperware container and stored in the fridge. The next day they firmed up but were just as delicious. The Chief Taster actually had a supper that consisted of a plate of these, followed by some muffins I had made that day too.
Rosemary and chive work great with cheese so were the herbs of my choice for this recipe. You could add other flavours and herbs to your taste instead. The cheese and the rosemary go so well with a glass of red wine too! I love a cheeseboard with some low carb crackers and these are the combination of the two. Add a glass of a delicious red and I am quiet on the sofa for about 15 minutes. Everyone wins!
- ½ cup (113g) butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cup (170g) Cheddar Cheese, grated
- ½ cup (50g) Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 ½ (150g) cup ground almonds/almond flour
- ¼ cup (28g) coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Mix the butter and cheeses together.
- Add the coconut and almond flour and work into a dough.
- Add the herbs and seasoning and mix well into the dough.
- Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Roll out the dough between two layers of parchment paper.
- Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden and firm.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Makes 24 biscuits (using a star cookie cutter)
- Nutritional Info per biscuit – 114 Calories, 10g Fat, 4g Protein, 2.5g Total Carbs, 1.3g Fibre, 1.2g Net Carbs