These cauliflower croquettes make a great low carb appetiser or side dish. An easy low carb dish with only a few ingredients.
Cauliflower. Farewell potato and welcome cauliflower…come in and make yourself comfortable. Who knew what a tasty and versatile vegetable it is! Low in carbs and simply fabulous with cheese, cauliflower makes a great substitute for potato in these cauliflower croquettes.
WHAT IS A CROQUETTE?
A croquette is traditionally a bread crumbed mashed potato roll with meat or vegetables in it. Often deep fried, they are served as snacks or a side dish. Originally made in France, you can find a version of a croquette all over the world. I’ve seen them sold in hot food vending machines in Holland and Aruba.
For this cauliflower croquette recipe, I’ve kept it simple. You could add ham, spring onions or spicy jalapenos to this. Cauliflower replaces the traditional potato and Parmesan cheese is used instead of breadcrumbs.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH A CAULIFLOWER CROQUETTE
If you are enjoying a croquette as a snack or appetiser, serve them with a garlic mayonnaise or a spicy tomato sauce. A dash of chipotle in mayonnaise goes well too. As a side dish, I find that a cauliflower croquette compliments any meal that is also serving spinach or use in place of potatoes.
If you are looking for more cauliflower recipes here are some :
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 cup Parmesan grated (dried works better)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut the cauliflower into florets, place in a saucepan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Drain the water and cool. Squeeze the florets in your hand to get rid of excess water.
- Mash the cauliflower either by hand or blender. Add seasoning.
- Make into croquettes shapes by hand.
- Put the Parmesan cheese on a plate and roll the croquettes in the cheese.
- Place the croquettes onto parchment/greaseproof paper and put into the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up.
- Heat the oven to 190c/375F degrees. Place the croquettes in the oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes, turning them to get an even golden colour.