Cauliflower rice is used in this recipe to make a delicious vegetarian chilli. It’s a healthier version of using meat and just as tasty.
I was hankering after a chilli and did not want the usual vegetarian version which is usually a pot full of chunky vegetables cooked in a chilli sauce. I wanted something that I could ladle and sprinkle with cheese BUT had to be a vegetarian chilli. The Chief Taster was not around so I was Queen of the pot for a change! Enter cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower rice makes a great vegetarian chilli recipe in place of minced beef. I will play with this to make a Bolognese sauce too! Once the cauliflower rice is cooked, spices and tomatoes added you have the perfect low carb vegetarian alternative to chilli.
Serving this vegetarian chilli made from cauliflower rice alongside a side of cauliflower rice seemed like over kill. So, I served it in a couple of cheese bowls and ate it in a cheese taco. However, it is delicious enough to eat simply by itself in a bowl.
The mushrooms in this vegetarian chilli are a great replacement for kidney beans. They give the chilli that comfort bite that bean normally give. As well as cooking superbly in spices. A low carb delicious alternative!
Feel free to play around with this recipe and adjust for own chilli preferences. This vegetarian chilli is a reflection of what spices I use to make a chilli, but it’s not a recipe set in stone. Go crazy with the spice rack and make it your own! Discover the joy of cauliflower rice and how it can be used in place of meat. Not just a pizza base. There is a lot more to cauliflower. It’s the vegetable that just keeps on giving!
WATCH THE RECIPE
- 1/2 Small onion chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms quartered
- 2 cups Cauliflower rice
- 2 Garlic cloves peeled & chopped
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste/puree
- 1/2 cup (128g) Chopped tomatoes tinned/fresh
- 2 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil on a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and the onion and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cauliflower rice and cook for 8-10 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Stir in the spices and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and tomatoes. Stir through, cover with a saucepan lid and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- If the mixture becomes too dry add some water, stir through, cover and cook. Season to taste.
- Eat and enjoy!