Try a batch of baked keto asparagus fries for a tasty side dish or appetizer. Fresh asparagus spears are covered in almond flour and Parmesan cheese for a healthier alternative to French fries.
Asparagus is delicious by itself when baked or grilled but change it up by baking it with a crispy coating. The coating can be changed to your own taste. Perhaps a dash of cayenne pepper? Garlic powder or a heap of cajun spices for some extra heat.
The keto coating for these baked asparagus is almond flour and dried Parmesan cheese but you could change this. Coconut flour works in place of the almond flour or you could use ground pork rinds. As long as the asparagus spears are dipped in the beaten egg wash, anything will stick to them.
Serve a batch of these baked keto asparagus fries with a grilled steak, salmon or as an appetizer. Add a bowl of mayonnaise for dipping. These healthy vegetable fries are best enjoyed as soon as they are cooked. At only 0.5g net carbs a spear, you can enjoy a good portion.
BAKING IN AN AIR FRYER
I baked mine as I am still having a “challenge” using an air fryer. The one I recently purchased broke due to it not being compatible with the voltage in our house. Usually houses in St Lucia have both 110 and 220 volt sockets but we don’t. Some of my appliances work without an adaptor so breaking the air fryer was totally on me taking a gamble. However, these asparagus fries would be great in an air fryer for extra crispiness. I would place the stalks at 400° for 7-8 minutes.
Other Low Carb Fries to Enjoy
Baked Asparagus Fries
- 1 bunch asparagus about 15 spears
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Trim or snap the tough ends from the asparagus spears
- In a shallow dish, mix the almond flour, Parmesan cheese, salt & pepper.
- Dip an asparagus spear into the beaten egg, then into the almond flour mixture.
- Double dip if the spear is not covered enough.
- Place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning the spears over after 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately
This recipe was originally published in November 2011. I have amended the recipe and updated the photographs.