Air fryer keto mozzarella sticks are a quick and easy low carb snack perfect for an appetizer or game night. A crispy low carb coating with a gooey cheese centre will be a family favourite.
These homemade mozzarella sticks are just as good as the fried ones from restaurants. The traditional mozzarella sticks are usually slathered with breadcrumbs making them not suitable for a low carb diet. However, this recipe uses a combination of almond flour and Parmesan cheese for a great low carb snack.
Join the friendliest keto & low carb recipe and support Facebook Group HERE!
How to make air fryer keto mozzarella sticks
The beauty of this recipe is the simplicity and the ingredients may already be in your pantry.
The ingredients for the recipe are:
- Almond flour – I used a finely grounded almond flour but you could replace this with coconut flour.
- Parmesan cheese - Make sure the cheese is finely grated.
- Mozzarella string cheese sticks – These are the ones you may put in your kids lunchbox
- 1 egg
- Seasonings – Garlic powder and oregano are a great combination with cheese.
To make these mozzarella sticks it is just as simple as cutting the cheese sticks in half, dip into beaten egg and then into the seasoned almond flour & Parmesan cheese. The sticks are placed in the fridge to firm then cooked in the air fryer.
Placing the mozzarella sticks in the freezer before cooking them helps the cheese not bursting out whilst cooking.
What sauce to serve with low carb mozzarella sticks
A marinara sauce is a great choice to serve with these low carb mozzarella sticks but ensure that the sauce is low carb. Many store bought sauces will sneak sugar into them.
Try a home made mayonnaise or a low carb ranch dip too.
If you don’t have an air fryer these can be baked in the oven. Bake at 200C/400F degrees for 8-10 minutes, turning over halfway through.
The mozzarella sticks can be stored in the freezer until you are ready to cook them. Keep a batch for snacking emergencies!
This recipe will work for other string cheese too, not just mozzarella.
Add your own seasoning to the coating. Perhaps a dash of cayenne pepper for a spicy coating.
Although these are best enjoyed straight from the air fryer you can reheat them in the microwave for a few seconds.
More keto air fryer recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Air Fryer Keto Mozzarella Sticks
- 8 mozzarella string cheese sticks
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 medium egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Crack and beat the egg in a medium shallow bowl.
- In another medium shallow bowl mix the almond flour, parmesan, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cut the mozzarella sticks in half for bite size portions.
- Dip the mozzarella sticks in the beaten egg, then into the dry mixture. Then repeat to ensure the mozzarella sticks are completely covered.
- Place the mozzarella sticks on a baking sheet lined parchment paper and put the baking sheet into the freezer for an hour.
- Lightly spray the air fryer tray and remove the mozzarella sticks from the freezer. Place them in a single layer in the air fryer.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 6 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Can you use the kraft parmasen in the can or does this have to be grated with fresh blocked parmasen?
I use the cheese in a can as it makes a better coating.
Why did they spread out
They might not have been cold enough. The trick is to cook them straight out of the freezer.