Cauliflower meatballs that are flavoured with Feta cheese and lemon. This is an easy vegetarian meatballs recipe with the taste of summer.
Initially I was going to make this mixture into cauliflower fritters but as I formed the mixture in my hands, I changed my mind and moulded the mixture into balls. The use of the term meatball in a vegetarian recipe is a bit of a misnomer really! However, it’s a popular term for any vegetable dish fashioned into balls.
I added Feta Cheese and lemon to these cauliflower meatballs as I wanted them to have a light summery taste. Cauliflower goes well with feta and lemon too. The sumac is an optional spice in this recipe. I used it because it gives an added lemon taste to the recipe. Also, I finally found some on the island! It’s been 3 years since I have used it as it was not available in Barbados. However, the range of spices available in Aruba are more varied and it was with much delight and almost a happy dance that I came across a Middle Eastern food section in a supermarket.
These cauliflower meatballs are perfect served with some zucchini noodles. I used a vegetable peeler to cut zucchini ribbons, gently cook them in butter for a couple of minutes and voila! An easy healthy lunch. There can be a bit dry by themselves, so I dipped the cold leftover cauliflower meatballs into some mayonnaise. Just yummy! You could serve a bowl of these along with a dip for a snack.
I found that the Feta cheese and the lemon juice were moist enough to bind the mixture together. If yours is a bit dry you may want to add a beaten egg. The cauliflower rice is not too wet as it is pan fried, drying out the moisture.
These cauliflower meatballs can be prepared ahead before cooking them. I recommend at least an hour to allow the balls to firm up though. A batch was left in the fridge overnight and baked great the next day. Yet again the versatile cauliflower turns into another healthy, low carb and gluten free dish! Main meal or a snack, it's delicious!
Other keto vegetarian "meatball" recipes
Cauliflower, Feta & Lemon Meatballs
- ½ head cauliflower medium
- ½ cup (75g) Feta cheese
- 1 Lemon Juice & Rind
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sumac optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Rice the cauliflower by either grating the florets or putting them in a food processor and blitzing them.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Gently sauté the cauliflower rice for about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and place in a bowl.
- Crumble the Feta cheese and add it to the cauliflower with the lemon rind and juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, sumac and parsley and mix thoroughly.
- Fashion the mixture into walnut shaped balls and place on parchment paper.
- Place the balls in the fridge and sit for a minimum of one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F degrees.
- Bake the cauliflower meatballs on a tray for 20 minutes until golden, turning them over halfway.