Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Coconut Flour)
This is just so delicious and made out of coconut flour. A low carb and Gluten Free tasty sandwich! All of the taste and none of the guilt! Huzzah! The naming of the sandwich being grilled amuses me, being British, as for us it is fried. To our friends across the pond, it is grilled. I love the differences in a common language! I don’t care what it’s is called, it is still a lovely low carb sandwich type meal that is fried in butter!
I find this very filling too. One of these for breakfast and I can keep going all day. Although the Chief Taster had one and hinted he could have another, but I put that down to him liking it so much rather than hunger. I sometimes zap the sandwich in the microwave at the end to really melt the cheese although that is probably due to me piling up the cheese in the middle.
You could play around with this and add other fillings or herbs to this. I use garlic powder, dried herbs and white pepper to flavour it but feel free to get creative! Perhaps some jalopenos in the cheese would be nice…ooh, might try that next time.
1 tblspn butter (melted) PLUS butter for frying
2 large eggs
2 tblspns water
1/2 tspn baking powder
1/2 tspn garlic powder
1 tspn dried oregano
2 tblspns coconut flour
salt and pepper
Cheese for the filling, sliced thinly.
Any other filling you wish to use.
- Mix the egg and water together and whisk well.
- Add the butter and blend.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder, herbs and seasoning and mix until smooth.
- Place in a square or rectangle microwave dish and spread out evenly.
- Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes until cooked and firm
- Remove from the container and slice in half for two pieces of “bread”.
- Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan and cook one piece until golden brown, then remove.
- Place the remaining piece of “bread” in the pan and layer on the cheese/toppings, then place the other piece of “bread” on top and cook until the cheese is melted.
- Eat and enjoy!