An easy keto tomato soup with basil is a delicious bowl of comfort food. Fresh tomatoes are roasted for a deep flavour and enhanced with fresh basil.
I've kept this soup as simple as possible with just tomatoes, garlic and basil. I omitted the onions to keep the carbs down and the flavours as simple as possible. The result is a hearty tomato taste enhanced by the basil. Feel free to use this simple soup as a base for a more creative low carb tomato soup by adding your own flourish.
Are tomatoes Keto?
Although tomatoes are thought to be a vegetable, botanically they are a fruit and are a keto friendly fruit. As a fruit they have more carbs than berries but less carbs then most fruit. The carbs in this tomato soup are 7g net per serving.
Fresh tomatoes are the best option to use for a keto tomato recipe as tomato-based products can have sugar in them. As with anything you purchase in a jar or tin, read the label carefully.
What to serve with roasted tomato soup
Enjoy a bowl of this tomato soup served with a low carb grilled cheese sandwich or a savoury cheese muffin for a keto version of the classic sandwich and soup combination.
How to make keto tomato soup
The main ingredients in this homemade tomato soup are:
- Fresh tomatoes
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh basil
- Chicken or vegetable stock
Make sure you use ripe, succulent tomatoes to give this soup the rich flavour it deserves. The roasting of the tomatoes brings out their flavour and add some basil and voila! you have got yourself a tasty and satisfying soup.
Ingredient Swaps & Tips
- Canned tomatoes could be substituted for the fresh, but check the sugar content of the tin before use. If you use tinned, you can skip the roasting of the tomatoes and gently cook the garlic in the saucepan.
- Fresh cherry or plum tomatoes can be used.
- For an extra creamy low carb tomato soup add heavy cream or coconut cream before blending.
- Parmesan would be a delicious addition to the soup for flavour and a thicker texture.
- If you don't have fresh basil, a couple of teaspoons of pesto can be used.
Can you freeze keto tomato soup?
You can freeze this soup easily as it has no dairy in it. Ensure that you thaw it thoroughly and gently heat it on the stove. I would not recommend you microwave the soup after defrosting as it needs a gently heat after freezing.
Other low carb soup recipes
This tomato soup recipe was originally published in March 2012. I've tweaked the recipe, updated the photos and content.
Keto Tomato Basil Soup
- 450 g tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable OR chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Place the tomatoes and garlic on a baking tray (I line mine with parchment paper for ease of roasting and cleaning the tray).
- Season with half of the salt & pepper and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place in a saucepan, along with any juices in the tin.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with the remaining salt & pepper and add the fresh basil.
- Blend the soup until smooth and adjust for any seasoning.
- Serve, slurp and enjoy!
Leave a Reply