Flax Meal Bread Loaf (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

This is just an amazing bread…easy to make, low in carbs and gluten free!  As well as full of nutrients, it is tasty and great toasted.   Compared with the “traditional yeasty” bread, this is just a matter of mixing in a bowl, no dough kneading required!   Just so easy to make!  No waiting for it to rise malarky either!  Another great way to get flax into your daily diet too!

You could add herbs and other flavourings to this bread too!  Change it to your own tastes.  Alone, it tastes like a wholemeal bread (well to me anyway!).  Some olives and sun dried tomatoes would be yummy….but your choice…your bread!

2 cups ground flax seeds/meal

5 eggs

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup melted butter

1 tblspn baking powder

1 tspn salt

• Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
  • Grease a bread tin with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
  • Whisk the eggs until light and frothy.
  • Add the butter and water and mix well.
  • Add the flax and salt and mix well.
  • Put the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 40-50 mins until firm.

18 Comments Add yours

1. shyzie says:

Great recipe..and seems fairly simple to put together…I would like experimenting with gluten free cooking…since I think I may be gluten intolerant….I have some gluten free rye flour at home…Do you think I could follow this recipe for a Rye loaf?

1. Angie C says:

Shyzie, it is so easy and great not to have to make bread with all that kneading too! Am intrigued about the use of Rye flour…my instincts are to say “Give it a go”…hope it works out. Please let me know how it went!

1. shyzie says:

Thanks Angie…will certainly let you know:))

2. dare2beher says:

Reblogged this on Dare2beher's Blog and commented:
    A great and easy recipe for a healthy bread!

1. Angie C says:

Thanks for the reblog! Hope you like this bread! x

3. Yum! Thanks for sharing! I love flax in just about anything. So glad I stumbled across your blog – love it! :)

1. Angie C says:

Hi Becca! Thanks for stopping by! So glad you found my blog and dropped in! Am a lover of Flax too..!

4. Angie C says:

Thanks for the likes and Reblogs Diva’s! So sweet of you all! xx

5. Jason says:

This is in the oven right now! Looking forward to trying it. BTW, loved you chicken/Thai red curry sauce skewers, too.

Thanks for this wonderful blog!

1. Divalicious says:

So glad you are enjoying the recipes!

6. Sheila Stephenson says:

Just came across this bread recipe—-it came out delish! I did add a few pinches of stevia powder and shook some cinnamon into it! it was a very faint taste of cinnamon so next time i’ll add more of both and maybe raisins! This recipe DOES seem very versatile! And so simple to whip up and bake, mine sliced beautifully, going to toast and eat with cream cheese/strawberries for breakfast! thank you!

1. Divalicious says:

Glad you liked it Sheila and just LOVE your ideas of cinnamon! Will have to try that out as it sounds delicious!!

7. Anybody says:

I’ve been making this for a while now, it my go to bread for soup, but I couldn’t find the website I first found it. I just want to say thank you so much!

8. Jessica says:

Approximate serving? happen to know what the breakdown is of things like carbs per serving or
    Approx

1. Divalicious says:

Hi Jessica, I would estimate about 3 net carbs per serving. Hope you enjoy it!

9. maz says:

Thanks for the recipe! I’ve made this a few times now and love it. I can’t eat dairy so I substitute coconut oil or olive oil. For a touch of savoury, I add a splash of tamari. Looking forward to trying a sweeter version it with cinnamon and raisins!

1. Divalicious says:

Thanks Maz. So glad you enjoy it! I like the idea of the coconut oil and will definitely try that!

10. Karen says:

Has anyone tried adding oat fiber to lower the carb counts if so how much did it change the consistency of the bread

Love to hear your comments on this!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s