The love affair with my spiralizer continues with this zucchini noodle recipe. There’s just something that appeals to my inner child when using it! It inspires you to have a play with vegetables too.
I made this one night just throwing ingredients into a bowl, then baked it in the oven as I wanted a quick supper dish since “Line of Duty” was about to start and I did not want any distractions. For those in the UK, did you see it? I was yelling at the television as if it was a sports programme and think my heart rate has only now just settled down!
We loved this experimental dish, but had I written down the ingredients and quantities? Meh! No! I originally was using a zucchini pizza base recipe with a few tweaks so had to go back to the drawing board. Happily, it did not too long to get back to my original experimentation and I now have an assigned notebook in the kitchen for future cooking!
You could make this with cream as an additional ingredient but due to the water content of the zucchini, I found that you don’t really need it. But add some to the dish if you want to make it extra creamy. Or perhaps some cream cheese? This served 2 as a main dish alone, but it could stretch to 4 if you had a side salad or two.
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed and put through the spiralizer
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tblspn thyme (fresh is better, but dried will do)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (75g) Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Parmesan (50g) cheese, grated
- 1 cup (112g) Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tblspn olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1/2 tspn black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/375F degrees.
- After spiralizing the zucchini, place them in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 10 minutes for the moisture to be drawn out.
- Gently wash the noodles and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the zucchini noodles and cook for a further 4 minutes until slightly soft.
- Place the zucchini and onion mixture into a bowl, add the egg, cheeses and thyme. Mix well and season.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until golden on top.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Nutritional Information: 1/4 of total dish - 226 Calories, 15g Fat, 16g Protein, 7g Carbs, 1g Fibre, 6g Net Carbs
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss another recipe!
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun!