This is a simple zucchini soup, full of the flavours of summer thanks to the basil. As well as delicious and easy to make, it's low carb, paleo and gluten free too. It's also a great way to use up all your excess summer zucchini's.
I love using zucchini's in soups as once blended, they give a very creamy consistency. Much better than using a potato for a thickener and lower in carbs too! The basil gives this a great flavour and adds to the green, vibrant colour. It's like a soup pesto! Strictly for basil lovers though.
This zucchini soup is so easy to make (as are most soups really). From shopping bag to the table in 30 minutes you can have a pot of creamy soup which is delicious served with low carbs bread rolls. No thickener is required but this soup has the consistency as if you have sneaked a potato in it.
It's a filling zucchini soup that is perfect for lunch. I like to have a bowl of this alongside a cheesy muffin in place of a bread roll. Two good flavour together. Plus the muffins use zucchini, so it's a great meal to use your zucchini.
ZUCCHINI SOUP TIPS
- If you use the older zucchini in the back of your fridge the results may be more water. Fresher and firmer zucchini will give a smoother consistency.
- This zucchini soup can also be served chilled on a hot day. Call it a zucchini gazpacho!
OTHER SOUPS TO ENJOY:
Broccoli, Lemon & Parmesan Soup
Creamy Zucchini Basil Soup
- 2 medium zucchini chopped
- 1 onion peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or oil of your choice
- 3 cups vegetable stock you could use chicken stock
- ⅓ cup basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook on a medium heat for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the zucchini and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the basil and blend with a hand blender or in a food processor.
- Season to taste
- Eat, slurp and enjoy!
I made this today with 1 very large zucchini, fresh basil. I did add 1 can of diced tomatoes after i pulsed the soup for some color. It was amazing!!! Thank you for sharing. I love it❤
Thanks! I like the idea of adding tomatoes!
You say too large to zucchini, there's a big difference between a large garden zucchini and a large store bought zucchini...About how many cups of zucchini would you say?
I'd estimate about 2 cups of zucchini, whilst being slightly jealous that you have garden zucchini's!
Eileen @ Phoenix Helix
This recipe looks delicious AND it fits the paleo autoimmune protocol (a rare thing). So, thank you! I recently started a weekly Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable through my blog, and I would love it if you linked up this recipe. I’m trying to expand resources for the AIP community. Here’s the link: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2014/04/23/paleo-aip-recipe-roundtable-24/
Eileen @ Phoenix Helix
Oops! That was last week's link. Here's the current one: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2014/04/30/paleo-aip-recipe-roundtable-25/
Thanks! Will happily link up!
Yum! I love simple soups! This is similar to a tomato basil soup I make, but I never thought of doing a zucchini soup! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
Glad you like it Vanessa! Slurp and enjoy!
Yum! I'll be trying this one!
Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for popping by too!