A creamy low carb soup made with fennel and zucchini. This is so simple to make and divine to eat. A great combination of flavours too!
There is no mistaking the aroma and taste of this soup..it's definitely for fennel lovers. Fennel has a mild aniseed taste. The zucchini does not add to the taste but helps thicken the soup. Who needs potatoes when you have zucchini!
Is fennel low carb?
Fennel is not always available in the supermarket so when you see it, grab a couple of heads and make this soup! The bulb offers many nutritional benefits and can be used in low carb recipes. A whole bulb has 10g net carbs. It has a healthy amount of fibre and is a good source of vitamin C, folate and potassium. The top green fronds can be kept aside and make a pretty garnish.
How to make fennel soup
Although I used vegetable stock, a chicken stock will do. It's purely because I am a vegetarian. Some white wine might be nice too. Perhaps some in the soup too..cheers!
This low carb is made with a handful of ingredients. It's basically fennel, onion and zucchini. The zucchini gives the soup a creamy texture. Add stock and season with a touch of lemon. Nothing complicated but flavour-some soup.
More low carb soups to enjoy
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Fennel Zucchini Soup
- 2 fennel bulbs trimmed & chopped
- 2 medium zucchinis chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups stock chicken or vegetable
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oil in a largesaucepan on a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the fennel and zucchini and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, bring tothe boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and rind, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Blend the mixture until smooth and season to taste.
- Serve, slurp and enjoy!