A creamy low carb soup made with fennel and zucchini. This is so simple to make and divine to eat. A great combination of flavours too!
There is no mistaking the aroma and taste of this soup..it's definitely for fennel lovers. Fennel has a mild aniseed taste. The zucchini does not add to the taste but helps thicken the soup. Who needs potatoes when you have zucchini!
Fennel is not always available in the supermarket so when you see it, grab a couple of heads and make this soup! The bulb offers many nutritional benefits. It has a healthy amount of fibre and is a good source of vitamin C, folate and potassium. The top green fronds can be kept aside and make a pretty garnish.
Although I used vegetable stock, a chicken stock will do. It's purely because I am a vegetarian. Some white wine might be nice too. Perhaps some in the soup too..cheers!
Fennel & Zucchini Soup
- 2 fennel bulbs trimmed and chopped
- 2 zucchinis courgettes, chopped
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1/4 tspn fennel seeds
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tspn coconut oil or oil of your choice
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat.
- Add the onion and fennel seed and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the fennel and zucchini and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend the mixture until smooth and season to taste.
- Serve, slurp and enjoy!