This low carb and gluten free almond flour bread roll recipe is one of the best alternative to bread I have ever tasted. It looks like dough when you are making it, smells like bread, and looks like bread with air pockets BUT…*drum roll*…is gluten free, grain free, low carb and just fabulous!
I think you could get away with passing these off as bread and no one would know. They rise like bread…oh the excitement in my kitchen at the moment as I am whipping up a batch every other day. I feel like running out into the street and handing rolls out to spread the word about this healthier alternative. So if you see a crazy lady on the corner handing out bread rolls, don’t be afraid and cross over the street, take a couple!
I’ve started playing around with the flavours too, added chopped up sun-dried tomatoes and olives in one batch. Nice enough, but I still prefer the plain ones. Will try adding some dried onion to the next batch. Another great thing about this recipe is that it is very easy to make, and compared to the traditional bread method of kneading and rising, you wonder why people bother. Just make lots of these!
This recipe is based on the one by Maria Emmerich and the original recipe can be found here: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/toasted-sub-sandwich-and-panini/.
A key ingredient to making this dough-like mixture is psyllium husk power (it MUST be the powder) which seems to act as the binding ingredient. Psyllium husk is a great ingredient for intestinal health. It contains a spongy fibre that reduces appetite, improved digestion and cleanses the system. It is high in fibre too. Just make sure you drink plenty of water. I purchased my psyllium powder online, but your health food shop may sell it too. It does vary between brands and some can yield a different colour in the bread roll.
As well as rolls, you could mould this into a bread tin and have a loaf of tasty bread. I made a small loaf and had toast with my scrambled eggs for breakfast. Tears of joy added some salty taste that morning 😉 My cupboards are now groaning with almond flour and psyllium powder! And I am having rolls for lunch! Bring on the soup, as I have bread to soak it up too!! Don’t waste the egg yolks, make a batch of home made mayonnaise to put into your rolls for lunch!
I have played around with this for coconut flour and the recipe for that can be found here : http://divaliciousrecipes.com/2016/06/03/coconut-flour-bread-rolls/
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed flour
- 4 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Place the almond flour, baking powder, psyllium husk powder, flax-seed flour and salt in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the olive oil and eggs and blend well until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Gently add the water, a bit at time and stir into the mixture (you may not need it all).
- Let the mixture stand for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using your hands, make a ball of the dough (I find keeping my hands wet helps with the sticky dough).
- Place the balls on the parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Make for 30 minutes until golden and firm.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Makes 6 Rolls
- Nutritional Info Per roll 301 Calories, 24g Fat, 11g Protein, 5g Net Carbs, 15g Total Carbs, 10g Fibre
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes and never miss a recipe!
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun!