Walnut baked Camembert cheese is a great appetiser or perhaps to share with a salad.
The crunch of the walnuts encrusted cheese goes well with the Camembert cheese which does not ooze too much once baked. I find that Brie cheese, when baked flows out like hot lava. Still delicious, though.
I had a baked Camembert last December and loved the gooey, cheesy gorgeousness of it. However, despite the hot, oozy cheese I felt that it lacked a little something. So I had a play and added ground nuts with some low carb/gluten free bread crumbs to it..and...voila! Now, this was a cooked cheese that we growled over like a pack of hungry dogs...it is truly delicious with crudities and toasted pieces of almond bread...well, I could eat it by itself in all honesty! There are no photos of it cut as it was so gooey and I wanted to dive it..so use your imagination or try it yourself to see it in all it's hot action!
I used walnuts but you could use any other nuts...nuts just go so well with cheese! I just blitzed the nuts in a food processor and voila! This makes a wonderful starter or a great supper dish! I used thyme purely as I enjoy it with walnuts. Feel free to use the herb or spice of your choice. You could do mini cheeses with this too and have it with a salad. Hey, who I am kidding, bake it and eat it whole, I won't judge you.....I've probably done it myself! 😉
Walnut Crusted Camembert
- 1 14oz (397g) Whole Camembert Cheese or Brie
- 1/4 cup (29g) Walnuts finely chopped
- 1 Egg beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons Thyme dried or fresh
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the nuts and herbs in a shallow bowl
- Dip the Camembert into the beaten egg, then into the nut mixture, ensuring that the cheese is thoroughly coated. Double dip if needed.
- Place the cheese onto a greaseproof lined baking tray and bake for about 10-15 minutes
- Eat, fight over it and enjoy!