A low carb bread that is simple to make and baked with almond flour. Delicious sliced and toasted for breakfast.
As with most low carb breads, the psyllium husk powder gives it more of a bread texture and takes away any “eggy” taste that some breads have. I separate the eggs and whisk up the egg white as I find it helps give the bread a less dense texture.
To be completely honest, this low carb bread recipe is one that I just stumbled across as I needed an almond loaf bread slice for another project that I am working on. Without my usual care on putting a recipe together for the blog, I threw everything in a bowl and just “guessed”, spread in a baking tin and baked it.
The bread was delicious and when munching a slice, thought to myself “this is blog worthy”. So once again, I had to try to remember what I did! That is such a bad habit of mine that I need to break in 2018. There’s recipes that I create for the blog, which are written down, thought out, tried and tested with notes as I go along. Then there are recipes that we eat when I say “meh, throw something together”. Often these are delicious, and I then struggle trying to make them the same again. There is still a chocolate cake that I need to recreate. What was I thinking? I clearly remember the Chief Taster requesting a cake, I threw something in a bowl and it was one of the best cakes we had eaten. Can I remember the measurements? The number of eggs? Nope. Oh well, it’s on the list of things to try again!
I made delicious French toast (aka “eggy bread” for the British) with this bread a day after making it. One of the downsides of a low carb bread is that it can end up a bit moist after being kept in the fridge. I dipped a couple of slices of the low carb bread into beaten egg, fried it in butter and voila! A yummy breakfast was had!
Almond Flour Bread
- 3 cups Almond flour
- 3 medium Eggs separated
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter
- 2 tablespoons Psyllium husk powder
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with parchment paper (if you have a 1lb tin you could reduce the ingredients OR, bake some rolls with any left over dough).
- In a bowl, add the almond flour, baking powder, salt and psyllium husk power. Mix well.
- In another bowl, mix the egg yolks and melted butter together (I use a whisk)
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and stir thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold them into the bread mixture.
- Add the boiling water, ¼ cup at a time until you have a light dough. (You may not need all the water so add a bit at a time to prevent a soggy dough).
- Bake for 30 minutes until firm.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: $11.79