This keto baked camembert is served with delicious low carb dough balls for a hearty appetizer or a Festive treat.
Creamy camembert is baked with the low carb bread rolls around the cheese making it an elegant dish for any party or gathering. The camembert is topped with a delicious combination of walnuts and fresh thyme.
The low carb dough balls are baked with a Fathead dough recipe and flavoured with rosemary to compliment the creamy strong taste of camembert. Tear one in half and dip into the hot, creamy cheese.
Enjoy this easy low carb appetizer as a romantic dish for two or a great crowd pleaser. The Chief Taster and I found this a hearty dish and only needed a few dough balls dipped in the creamy Camembert to be content and full.
CAN I EAT CAMEMBERT ON KETO?
The joy of keto is that cheese is firmly on the table! Baking the Camembert is simple but full of flavour. All you need to have is a something low carb to dip into the melted, gooey cheese.
A note on the nutritional information for this recipe is that I have separated the dough balls and cheese as the proportion of low carb dough balls you eat in this dish may vary. We could not manage all of them between us because they are low carb, we find them very filling.
The fat head dough for the bread rolls needs to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. It makes the dough more manageable to roll.
I like to use an egg wash on the keto bread rolls for a shine to them and it also makes it easier for any topping to stick to it. I sprinkled a few bread rolls with sesame seeds and chia seeds for crunch and decorative purposes.
This keto baked camembert is best served immediately. You can make the Fathead dough bread rolls ahead and then assemble them around the cheese when you are ready to make.
Flavour the low carb bread rolls with other herbs or keep them plain. I used dried rosemary as it is a herb that goes well with cheese. With the added bonus that it smells delicious when baking.
OTHER LOW CARB DOUGH BALLS TO BAKE
Baked Camembert with Low Carb Dough Balls
- 1 medium egg, beaten for the egg wash
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 250g Camembert, round
- 3 tablespoons walnut chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme, fresh chopped
MAKE THE DOUGH
- Place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a bowl. Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Stir until mixed.
- Add the 2 eggs, almond and coconut flours, baking powder, garlic powder and rosemary.
- Mix well until combined. Get in with your hands and work the dough until it is even in colour.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill and firm. It will make it easier to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take the Camembert out of it packaging and place it in the lid of the box it came in.
- Place the box and the cheese in the centre of the parchment paper.
- Roll large walnut shaped balls of the dough and place them around the box of Camembert.
- Brush the tops of the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with seeds (optional garnish).
- Mix the walnuts and thyme together and scatter over the top of the Camembert.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the rolls are golden.
- Serve immediately.
Calories 108, 5.7g protein, 8g fat, 4.1g carbs, 2.1g fibre, 2g net carbs Baked Camembert (6 servings) 164 calories 9.2g protein, 13.8g fat, 1g carbs, 0.3g fibre, 0.7g net carbs The net carbs will be the total carb count minus the fibre count. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Any nutritional analysis on the website is based on an estimate, calculated by http://nutritiondata.self.com from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.