Devilled eggs are an easy appetiser or snack, and these delicious appetisers are stuffed with lemon and capers for a simple and easy recipe.
Although I initially have served these devilled eggs as upright stuffed eggs, this can be tricky depending upon the position of the egg yolk once the egg has been hard boiled. You may be better off slicing the egg in half and serve as you would a devilled egg. These can be prepared in advance and make a great appetiser, picnic snack, addition to your lunch box or are delicious with a salad. I sometimes serve these as part of a Tapas meal too.
The filling is tangy yet creamy. I love the flavour combination of lemon and capers! Any left over lemon and caper filling could be used as a sandwich filling. Or ate straight out of the bowl whilst muttering “best not waste any food”. Try to ignore the judgemental stares of your pets as you do this. Well, my cats were judgemental, my dogs were in full puppy-eyed begging mode. They got nothing.
The lemon caper mixture for these devilled eggs could be skilfully pipped or just spread in with a spoon. Either way, the taste is delicious.
Can Devilled Eggs Be Made Ahead?
If you are preparing for a party or gathering, you can make these devilled eggs up to 2 days in advance. You will need to keep the boiled egg whites separate from the egg filling. Simply wrap the boiled egg whites with cling film and keep the lemon egg yolk mixture in a resealable plastic bag or small Tupperware box.
What Goes Well With Devilled Eggs?
Devilled eggs are an appetiser and picnic food so will par well with other appetisers or food. Serve with other food in bite form.
Eggs stuffed with lemon & capers
- 10 eggs hard boiled
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers chopped
- 1 lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons parsley, fresh chopped
- Cut the top of the bottom and top of the eggs, so that they can be stood upright. (Or you can slice the eggs in half)
- Gently, with a small spoon or a knife, scoop the egg yolks out.
- Add the egg yolks, trimmed egg whites, garlic, capers, lemon juice, lemon zest to a bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and season with the black pepper.
- With a small spoon, fill the hollowed out eggs with the mixture.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the eggs.
- Eat and enjoy!