Fancy a couple of low carb bagels for the weekend breakfast? Try this sunflower and chia seed bagel recipe and you won’t be dissapointed.
This is one of the bagel recipes from my coconut flour eCookbook. I thought it would be a perfect recipe for the weekend to share. As well as being low carb they are a great gluten free alternative to the real thing. Probably healthier too as they are high in fibre due to the combination of coconut flour and pysllium husk powder.
When I was experimenting with this recipe I made so many batches that I had to freeze some. They kept well in the freezer and I took some along to the local vegetable market to give to one of my weekly vendors to try. She loved them and was amazed that they were made with coconut flour. I’m slowly spreading the word on the island about the wonders of coconut flour. One market vendor at a time it seems!
If you enjoy these bagels, you will find other recipes in my coconut flour eCookbook, along with other delicious savoury and sweet treats.
- 1/2 cup (56g) coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons (28g) butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon (9g) psyllium husk powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon (10g) chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons (30g) sunflower/pumpkin seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Using a hand whisk, mix the coconut flour, psyllium husk powder and baking powder in a bowl and combine well.
- Add the butter and eggs and mix thoroughly until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the chia and pumpkin seeds and gently combine into the dough mixture, using a spoon.
- Boil the water and add to the mixture a bit at a time, stirring thoroughly until you have a dough. Wait for the dough to cool slightly before using your hands to shape it.
- Cut the dough into four equal quarters. Take one of the quarters and roll into about an 8 inch long log.
- Join the two edges of the log together to make into a bagel shape, pressing firming.
- Place on a parchment covered baking tray and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the bagels over and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Nutritional Info per bagel - 209 Calories, 13g Fat, 16g Total Carbs, 6g Net Carbs, 10g Fibre, 7g Protein