A lemon and chia seed muffin with a creamy cream cheese filling. Baked with almond flour these lemon muffins are low carb and gluten free.
A popular muffin flavour is lemon and poppy seed, so thought I would substitute the poppy seed with chia seeds. They were lovely and crunchy and everything they should be. The chia seeds give extra protein and fibre too. At only 5g net carbs they are a great breakfast or afternoon treat.
To add to the delightful lemony taste, I thought I'd fill the muffins with a creamy cream cheese filling. I was not wrong with this decision and the Chief Taster munched happily on them. I thought that the creamy centre gives the muffin an extra taste of lemon to the lemon sponge. You can omit this if you want a plain lemon muffin.
The chia seeds, however tiny they may be, pack a nutritional punch as well as being high in fibre. I normally soak the chia seeds in coconut milk to make a pudding as they will expand with liquid. Bear this in mind as you munch the muffins as they will be keeping you full as you take a drink with the muffins.
Other Low Carb Muffins to Bake
Lemon Chia Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted melted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 eggs medium
- 1/4 cup erythritol or sugar substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Lemons juice & grated rind
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoon erythritol, powdered low carb sugar substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon, juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the melted butter, eggs and lemon juice with the rind and stir thoroughly.
- Add the chia seeds and stir.
- To make the filling, simple blend the cream cheese, lemon juice and erythritol together until blended.
- Lightly grease a muffin tin.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin about half way.
- Spoon about a large teaspoon of the cream cheese filling into the centre of the cake mixture.
- Place the remaining muffin batter over the filling and smooth out so that the filling is covered.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Products from Amazon.com