This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
A lemon and chia seed muffin with a creamy cream cheese filling. Baked with almond flour these lemon muffins are low carb and gluten free.
A popular muffin flavour is lemon and poppy seed, so thought I would substitute the poppy seed with chia seeds. They were lovely and crunchy and everything they should be.
To add to the delightful lemony taste, I thought I’d fill the muffins with a creamy cream cheese filling. I was not wrong with this decision and the Chief Taster munched happily on them. I thought that the creamy centre gives the muffin an extra taste of lemon to the lemon sponge.
The chia seeds, however tiny they may be, pack a nutritional punch as well as being high in fibre. I normally soak the chia seeds in coconut milk to make a pudding as they will expand with liquid. Bear this in mind as you munch the muffins as they will be keeping you full as you take a drink with the muffins. I am assuming water will be your drink and not a few vodkas! What you do in the afternoon with a muffin is your own business though..hee hee!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted melted
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup erythritol or sugar substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Lemons, juice & grated rind
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoon ground erythritol or sugar substitute
- 1/2 Lemon, juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the melted butter, eggs and lemon juice with the rind and stir thoroughly.
- Add the chia seeds and stir.
- To make the filling, simple blend the cream cheese, lemon juice and erythritol together until blended.
- Lightly grease a muffin tin.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin about half way.
- Spoon about a large teaspoon of the cream cheese filling into the centre of the cake mixture.
- Place the remaining muffin batter over the filling and smooth out so that the filling is covered.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $28.33
- Price: $9.40Was: $15.30
- Price: Check on Amazon