This keto friendly salmon spinach lasagna is a hearty comfort food packed with salmon, spinach, with a creamy cheesy sauce for a healthy and flavorful keto meal.
A salmon lasagna makes a great change if you want a break from red meat or are a low carb pescatarian. Or enjoy this on Good Friday during the Easter holidays.
For the low carb lasagna sheets we use keto Palmini lasagna noodles as they make a great low carb option and are naturally gluten-free too. They cooked well in the cheese sauce and there were no complaints from the Chief Taster.
Salmon and spinach are a great flavour combination and everyone loves lasagna so why not pull them all together in a great tasting dish.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
CARBS IN PALMINI LASAGNA NOODLES
For this recipe we used a whole pack of noodles which made 2 layers in a 9 x13 inch baking dish. One pack is 12 oz and has 9g net carbohydrates for the whole packet.
Palmini noodles are made from hearts of palm and are a great low calorie and low carb pasta alternative.
SALMON LASAGNA INGREDIENTS
- Spinach - we used defrosted frozen spinach but you could use fresh spinach. You need 9oz of cooked spinach.
- Salmon fillets - Try and use skinless fillets if you can. If you only have fillets with skin, remove them and set aside for your dogs or cats (as long as it's not seasoned). I cook mine in the air fryer for a tasty dog/cat snack.
OTHER KETO LASAGNA NOODLES
If you don't have Palmini noodles you can use other low carb lasagna noodle replacements for this salmon lasagna recipe.
Zucchini is a popular choice. Slice the zucchini lengthways and bake, grill or air fryer them until golden. They make a great low carb zucchini lasagna.
Boiled or steamed cabbage leaves can be used as lasagna sheets.
Fathead dough made with mozzarella, eggs and low carb flours are rolled out like pasta sheets.
HOW TO MAKE SALMON SPINACH LASAGNA
This is an easy dinner to make that can also be made ahead, then cooked when you are ready. If you make the cheese sauce as you are cooking the salmon and spinach, it saves time and your lasagna can be ready for assembly quicker.
Cook the salmon in a skillet.
Cook the garlic and spinach.
Make the low carb cheese sauce
Wash the palmini noodles and pat dry.
ASSEMBLE THE KETO LASAGNA
Assembling the lasagna is easy once you have all the cooked ingredients to hand.
Spoon a layer of the cheese sauce on the bottom
Cover the sauce with the Palmini noodles
The spinach and salmon layer are next
Repeat the layers and top with mozzarella cheese.
Lasagna with salmon is a great keto salmon recipe that you can vary to your own taste and pantry ingredients. A few suggestions are:
- Add ricotta cheese to the salmon spinach mixture.
- The salmon fillets could be replaced with canned salmon.
- Smoked salmon gives this dish another depth of flavour.
- The cheese sauce could be made with the addition of Dijon mustard and another cheese to replace the Parmesan such as Cheddar cheese or Gouda.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Once cooked and cooled you can freeze this and any left overs. We cut the lasagna into individual servings to freeze. They are placed in zip locked bags and in the freezer for at least 3 months. Defrost them in the refrigerator before reheating.
Cover the dish with clingfilm and store in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3 days in the fridge and can be reheated in the oven or microwave.
MORE KETO SALMON RECIPES
If you enjoy salmon, you might also enjoy these low carb recipes:
Salmon Spinach Lasagna
- 21 oz salmon fillets ideally, skinless
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 9 oz spinach defrosted
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pack Palmini noodles
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup cream heavy
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup mozzarella grated
Cook the Salmon
- Heat the tablespoon of butter in a large skillet or frying pan on a medium heat.
- Cook the salmon fillets for 8 to 10 minutes until cooked through, turning over so both sides are cooked.
- Set the salmon aside in a bowl and flake with a fork. Remove any bones you may find.
Cook the Spinach
- In the same skillet or frying pan cook the minced garlic for a minute. Add the spinach, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cook for 2- 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the salmon and mix to combine.
Make the Cheese Sauce
- Place the cream cheese, butter and cream in a large saucepan on a medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until you have a sauce.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and Mozzarella cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
Prepare the Palmini Lasagna Noodles
- Remove the noodles from the packet, drain and wash them in water. Pat dry.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish (about 3 inches deep) spoon a layer of the cheese sauce over the bottom.
- Place a layer of the Palmini noodle sheets on top of the cheese sauce.
- Spoon a layer of the salmon spinach mixture over the noodles.
- Repeat the layers and top with a layer of cheese sauce. Sprinkle ½ cup grated mozzarella on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.