A great tasting combination of roasted broccoli and pumpkin that has the addition of feta and chilli to lift your taste buds.
I initially made this as a main dish but I think this would be lovely as a side dish too. Once we finished our bowls we both said we wanted more. The saltiness of the feta combined with the sweetness of the pumpkin with the uplift of the chilli was just divine. And roasted broccoli! That was a revelation and a lovely surprise. The dish looked pretty and good enough to eat, and we did it justice!
You could substitute the pumpkin with butternut squash too. I had thought about changing the cheese but went with feta in the end and glad I did as it gave the dish an added kick. I had been looking at brie, but think a better substitute for the feta would be goats cheese too. I used sunflower seeds to give the dish a slight crunch but you could use other seeds instead. Perhaps pumpkin seeds? The Chief taster loved this dish and asked for it to be made again. Good to see a grown man go crazy for a plate full of veggies!
- 750g pumpkin, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 200g broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets
- 250g feta cheese
- 4 tblspn oil oil
- 1/2 tblpsn chilli flakes
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1/2 tspn pepper
- 4 tblspn sunflower seeds
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Toss the pumpkin in half of the olive oil and add the chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
- Place in a roasting tin and cook for 45 mins (the broccoli will be added during this time).
- Toss the broccoli in the remaining olive oil, add the lemon juice and garlic.
- Add to the roasting tin with the pumpkin after 25 mins of cooking.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven, and add the feta cheese, crumbling it over the veggies.
- Sprinkle the sunflower seeds over.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Serves 2 as a main dish, 4 as a side dish.