This pumpkin feta salad with pecans is a tasty and colourful seasonal dish. A sweet and nutty salad that also makes a great low carb side dish.
I love the sweet taste of roasted pumpkin and to add some salty feta cheese to it, along with the sweet pecans makes an amazing low carb salad dish. I found this dish to be sweet and creamy with a delightful crunch of the pecans.
The Chief Taster loved this and even helped himself to seconds, then ate the rest the next day, so it's a big thumbs up from him! It was definitely the sweetness of the pumpkin and pecans that made him reach for the big spoon (he has a sweet tooth that I have to battle with!).
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Just 3 ingredients and a dressing are needed to make this easy low carb salad.
Dried red chilies were added to give the dish a bit of a kick but this is optional and was really for my own personal taste.
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN FETA SALAD RECIPE
This is an easy recipe that you can make in the background whilst cooking other dishes. Or make this dish with any left over roasted pumpkin you may have.
Toast the pecans for a deeper flavour. Toasting them enhances their flavour. This can be done by placing them in a tray and roasting them in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Or you can cook them in a dry pan on the stove.
Although this is delicious warm, you can serve this at room temperature too.
Any leftovers of this roasted pumpkin salad will last in the fridge for 3-4 days stored in an airtight container. We would not recommend that this be frozen.
RECIPE TIPS & SUGGESTIONS
- Air fry the pumpkin chunks in place of roasting them.
- Replace the Feta cheese with Goats cheese for another flavor combination.
- Pine nuts or walnuts could be used to substitute the pecans.
- Keep a little bit of the dressing on the side so you can drizzle it over your serving.
- If you want a sweeter salad, add a tablespoon of sugar free maple syrup to the salad dressing.
- Add baby spinach leaves or arugula for a green leafy addition to the salad.
- Thinly sliced red onions make a great savory addition.
- Garlic is a great addition to pumpkin salad. Add it in garlic powder form or minced fresh garlic.
- Serve with a side of slice avocado for a hearty keto dish.
More low carb savoury pumpkin recipes
This recipe was originally published in May 2014. We have updated the photos and content but the recipe remains the same.
Pumpkin Pecan Feta Salad
- 2 cups pumpkin peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 oz feta cheese
- ½ cup pecan nuts, lightly toasted roughly chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried red chilis (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Roast the Pumpkin
- Heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Toss the pumpkin cubes in the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper.
- Place the pumpkin in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden, tender and cooked through.
- Remove the pumpkin and allow to cool.
Make the Dressing
- In a small bowl whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and seasoning together.
- Place the pumpkin, pecans and feta in a medium serving bowl or dish.
- Pour the dressing over the pumpkin mixture and toss thoroughly.
- Eat and enjoy!