Slather your low carb chocolate cupcakes with a peanut butter frosting for the delight of chocolate and peanut butter in one bite.
This cupcake recipe first appeared as one of my contributions for Joy Filled Eats. I just love the recipes on this website as they bring you the low carb joy you deserve.
Since peanut butter cups are now a sugary, “Nope” and I love the flavour combination of peanut butter and chocolate, what better way to enjoy this then in a cupcake! I already have a peanut butter filled chocolate cupcake recipe so thought about using the peanut butter as a topping on a chocolate cupcake.
The peanut butter frosting uses a sugar free peanut butter. Always keep your eye on the labels of peanut butter that declares itself as natural so to avoid any sneaky sugar addition. Or make your own peanut butter is the safer answer. Nut butters are easy to make and just a matter of blitzing the nuts in a food processor until a butter is formed.
The peanut butter frosting topping is almost good enough to eat as a pudding and you may have to exert some self-control when piping the topping on the chocolate cupcake. Then again, for me, the topping is usually the best part of a cupcake.
As with most of my coconut flour cakes, I separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites. This keeps the sponge moist and light. It’s my tip when using coconut flour and works if you are baking with almond flour. With the absence of gluten, you need to give the low carb flours every help you can.
OTHER PEANUT BUTTER & CHOCOLATE RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake
Peanut Butter Brownie Cheesecake
Chocolate & Peanut Butter Muffin
Chocolate & Peanut Butter Avocado Pudding
Peanut Butter Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3 Eggs
- ¼ cup Butter unsalted
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Erythritol
- ¼ cup Coconut flour
- ½ cup Cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon ` Baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Coconut milk
- ½ cup Butter, unsalted softened
- 4 oz Cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup Peanut butter smooth
- 2 tablespoons Erythritol ground
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Whipping/heavy cream
BAKE THE CUPCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Whisk the eggs well and then add in the melted butter.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, erythritol, coconut milk and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- If the batter seems too thick add more coconut milk.
- Place the batter into cupcake cases ¾ of the way up and bake for 20 minutes until the tops spring back lightly when touched.
- Allow to cool
MAKE THE TOPPING
- Mix the cream cheese and butter together until blended
- Add the peanut butter, cream, erythritol, vanilla extract and butter until soft with no lumps. (Mix with a blender if it's easier).
- Smother or pipe the cupcakes with the peanut butter frosting
Hi. I would like to try these. The instructions mention baking powder, but the ingredients list doesn't show it. If it does need it, how much? Thanks!
It should be 1/2 teaspoon. I'll amend the recipe, thanks!
I have to try these cupcakes after the holidays. The frosting looks so good!