Low carb orange chocolate cupcakes are baked with coconut flour with sugar free chocolate chips. A tasty low carb and gluten free cupcake for lovers of orange and chocolate.
Chocolate goes well with the flavour of orange (well, in my opinion, my grandfather thought it was an abomination against the taste buds) so I thought that I would put these two flavours together in cupcake form.
The smell of these orange cupcakes baking is the best air freshner for your kitchen. Or a weak excuse to bake a batch!
Is Orange Low Carb?
The immediate answer is no. Orange is not low carb as it is 11g net carbs per 100g and you need to push the breakfast orange juice aside.
HOWEVER, in small quantities you can still enjoy the taste of orange in a low carb diet. If you use the rind and a couple of tablespoons of orange juice the total net carbs are manageable.
Ingredients for orange chocolate cupcakes
To make these orange chocolate chip cupcakes we use coconut flour along with our other low carb pantry staples
How to make low carb chocolate chip cupcakes
These low carb cupcakes are made in one bowl and is a simple recipe that anyone new to coconut flour can bake.
- Whisk the butter and low carb sweetener together.
- Add the eggs, coconut milk, orange juice and rind..
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk until there are no lumps and there is a smooth batter.
- Stir in the sugar free chocolate chips.
- Spoon into lined muffin tins and bake.
- Eat and enjoy!
How to store cupcakes
These moist muffins need to be stored in the fridge in an air tight container. They should last up to 3 - 4 days.
Can you freeze these cupcakes?
Freezing these orange chocolate chip cupcakes is easy. Pop them into an air tight container or zip lock bag and they will freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature.
If you want to swap the coconut flour with almond flour, adapt our almond flour cupcakes recipe with adding the orange rind, juice and sugar free chocolate chips.
More Low Carb Orange Recipes
Chocolate Orange Brownies (Coconut Flour)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
This recipe was originally post in Apri 2016. The photos and content have been revised but the recipe remains the delicious same.
Orange & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup butter, melted melted
- ¼ cup monkfruit
- 1 Orange juice & rind
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk (or almond milk)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips unsweetened
- 3 medium eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Whisk together the butter and sweetener.
- Whisk the eggs, coconut milk, orange juice and rind.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk until there are no lumps and there is a smooth batter. Add a tablespoon of water if the mixture is a bit too stiff.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into cupcake cups or a greased muffin tray.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and allow to cool.
- Eat and enjoy!
OH, Angela, I am so sorry to hear you had that illness. By the way I wanted to tell you that I am unable to send you a simple mail...it does not work with that @contact...@.... and I do not use facebook....nor do I do paypal...I tried to get your ebooks but could not pass without using paypal, whci I do not want to do. So, I will continue enjoying your recipes on line. Thank you for those. Get well soon. Eliza
Thanks Eliza xx
Made these and it really is a big success. Thank you.
Hi Eliza! Sorry about the late reply but I've been ill with the Zika virus! Glad you enjoyed the cupcakes!
MMMMMM,....They look so good! x I also love the new look of your cool blog! 🙂
Thanks Sophie! It's taking me a while to "tweak it"..a bigger task than I initially thought!
I was thinking about making something with the combination of orange and chocolate, but wasn't sure if I would like it. These look tasty!
I was initially thinking about orange and chocolate chip pancakes but went with a cupcake in the end. Let me know what you end up making!