Soft chocolate cupcakes are slathered with a mint frosting. Baked with coconut flour these are a tasty low carb and gluten free refreshing cupcake. They are almost a cupcake version of thin mints.
Enjoy a minty fresh breath with a bite of these mint chocolate cupcakes. The smudged chocolate around your teeth might dispense with the fresh minty breath appearance though!
The mint frosting is coloured with green but is optional. I used a natural green food colouring from the UK. Although a part of me wonders what exactly is natural about colouring your food green. Hey ho, it’s the colour associated with mint, so I used a couple of drops of colouring.
Baking with Coconut Flour
When you bake with coconut flour you will get different results with different brands. I currently use Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour as that is the main one for sale in St Lucia. I have a couple of other brands but they give a more dense result and the taste of coconut flour is stronger. As with all brands of coconut flour, you need a fair bit of liquid compared to regular flour per volume. I used coconut milk to help lighten the cupcake batter, but water works well. When you mix this mint chocolate cupcake mixture, adjust with liquid at the end to get a smooth and even batter.
To decorate these mint chocolate cupcakes I used a few semi sweet chocolate chips. This is entirely optional. Perhaps a sprinkling of cocoa power or a drizzle of melted chocolate (high cocoa solids of course!). The cream cheese frosting was fairly thick and I tried to pipe it onto the cupcakes. My icing bag burst as I battled to squeeze it down. I cursed and then slathered it on with a knife instead. Then I was up against the heat as it was a warm day and the topping started to soften too much. My cupcake icing days always seem doomed!
Other Cupcake Recipes
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup butter, unsalted softened
- 2 tablespoons erythritol ground
- 2 drops green food colouring
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
MAKE THE CUPCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Whisk the butter and erythritol together until smooth
- Gradually add the eggs, one at a time and continue to whisk
- Add the coconut flour, salt, baking powder, cocoa powder and coconut milk and whisk until smooth.
- If the batter seems too thick add more coconut milk.
- Place the batter into cupcake cases ¾ of the way up and bake for 20 minutes until the tops spring back lightly when touched.
- Allow to cool
MAKE THE FROSTING
- Mix the cream cheese and butter together until blended
- Add the erythritol, peppermint extract and green food colouring until soft with no lumps. (Mix with a blender if it's easier).
- Smother or pipe the cupcakes with the mint frosting
- Decorate with a couple of chocolate chips (Optional)