These low carb coconut lime cupcakes are baked with coconut flour and are a moist taste of the tropics. Light and delicious they are easy to make and are slathered with a cream cheese frosting
I fancied something sweet one afternoon so thought I'd whip up a batch of cupcakes with coconut and lime. Light, delicious and hit the spot. As well as being only 3g net carbs each, these coconut lime cupcakes are gluten free too.
I smoothed these delicious coconut lime cupcakes with a cream cheese topping then sprinkled with desiccated coconut but you can decorate them as you see fit. Perhaps you will enjoy them plain or maybe a whipped cream topping? I wanted a coconut taste overload! As I currently live in the Caribbean, I cannot get enough coconut flavourings! We even have coconut trees in our garden for fresh coconut water.
BAKING COCONUT FLOUR CUPCAKES
Coconut flour was used to make these tropical inspired cupcakes. Once you get used to baking with coconut flour it is very easy. The main adjustment to low carb baking with coconut flour is the amount of moisture it will happily suck up. If the mixture looked a bit like a pancake batter in texture, don't despair as it will still bake well.
This recipe is my favourite cupcake recipe with coconut flour. It's fun to adapt it with other flavours. Use this without the desiccated coconut and substitute with other cupcake flavours.
OTHER COCONUT FLOUR CUPCAKES TO BAKE:
Coconut Lime Cupcakes
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted softened
- 1/4 cup erythritol, powdered low carb sweetener
- 2 tablespoons cream, whipping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Whisk the butter and erythritol together until creamy
- Add the eggs, one at a time
- Add the lime juice, zest and coconut milk. Keep whisking until smooth
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and mix well. If the batter seems too thick add more coconut milk. It should resemble cake/pancake batter.
- Place the batter into cupcake cases 3/4 of the way up and bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops spring back lightly when touched.
- Remove and cool in the pan.
MAKE THE FROSTING
- Blend the topping ingredients until smooth. I used a hand blender but feel free to do an upper arm workout and try it with a spoon!
- Slather the cream cheese frosting over the cupcakes and decorate with sliced limes or grated lime zest.