These mini crustless Quiche can be served as an appetizer, part of your party platter, a nice delight in your lunch box or a tasty snack. The sweetness of the onion with the touch of garlic lifts the flavor for me. I HAVE to make this flavor combination in a frittata! Although I used dried rosemary you could use any other herb to your personal taste.
The star ingredient of these quiches is the caramelized onion, which adds a sweet and savory note to each bite. The onions are slowly cooked to perfection, allowing their natural sugars to caramelize and create a rich, deep flavor profile. Paired with the luxurious brie cheese, known for its buttery texture and delicate taste, the combination is nothing short of heavenly.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Carbs in onions
Onions are considered to be a relatively low-carbohydrate vegetable. The carb content in onions can vary slightly depending on the type and size of the onion, but here is a general breakdown:
- 1 medium-sized onion (approximately 110 grams) contains around 9-10 grams of carbohydrates.
- The majority of the carbohydrates in onions come from dietary fiber, which is important for digestive health. A medium-sized onion usually contains around 2-3 grams of fiber.
- The remaining carbohydrates in onions are primarily in the form of sugar, with a small amount of starch.
- Onions - yellow onions are used but red onions could be substituted.
- Cream - heavy cream
- Brie - other cheeses can be used. Brie has a mild flavor that does not overpower the caramelized onions.
- Red pepper - yellow or orange bell peppers can be substituted.
- Garlic - add more than one clove for a stronger flavor.
- Rosemary & Thyme - fresh or dried herbs can be used.
How to make mini crustless quiche
Slowly cook the onion slices
Add red pepper and garlic.
Beat the eggs and cream.
Add all ingredients into a mini muffin tray and bake.
Once cooled and popped out of the muffin tray, these mini crustless quiches can be stored in the fridge in an air tight container. Enjoy them cold the next day or heat them up in the oven. They should last up to 3 days.
Here are a few variations you can try with the Mini Quiche with Caramelized Onion and Brie recipe:
- Spinach and Mushroom: Add sautéed spinach and mushrooms to the caramelized onion mixture before filling the tart shells. This will add an earthy flavor and an extra layer of texture to the quiches.
- Bacon: Cook some bacon until crispy, crumble it, and add it to the filling along with the caramelized onions and brie. The combination of bacon and brie adds a delicious smoky and savory element to the quiches.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Basil: Chop some sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil leaves, and mix them into the filling along with the caramelized onions and brie. This variation adds a burst of tangy sweetness and a fresh herbal note to the quiches.
- Gruyère Cheese: Substitute or combine the brie with gruyère cheese for a slightly nutty and more robust flavor. Gruyère pairs beautifully with caramelized onions and will give your quiches a distinctive taste.
Brie & Caramelised Onion Mini Crustless Quiche
- 4 oz Brie cheese cut into small pieces
- 1 medium red pepper cute into small pieces
- 2 medium onions peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 5 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon rosemary dried
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and add the onions and cook for 10 minutes, occasionally stirring for evening browning of the onions.
- Add the garlic and chopped red pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Lightly grease the insides of a mini muffin tin. A silicone case is preferable.
- Remove the onion and pepper mixture from the frying pan and place about a tablespoon of the mixture into the mini muffin cases.
- Add the Brie cheese into the muffin tin.
- Beat the eggs and season with the dried rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the muffin tin.
- Bake for15-20 minutes until the mini quiches are firm.
- Serve and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.