This Parmesan bread with thyme is baked with coconut flour and psyllium husk powder. A low carb and gluten free bread that is delicious sliced.
I had been meaning to bake a coconut flour bread for toasting with our breakfast eggs but at the last minute decided to try baking a bread loaf with Parmesan and thyme in it. I figured if it didn’t work out, we could at least toast any disaster and hide it under a mound of scrambled eggs. I'd post it on Facebook and we would all laugh and point at me...
The Parmesan bread smells gorgeous as it’s baking and I had to hold myself back from not slicing it immediately and slathering it with butter when it was out of the oven. Pesky photo taking ruined my fun. I was pleased with the results though and it looked delicious as I removed it from the oven.
How to make Parmesan Thyme Bread
I separated the eggs to whisk the egg whites in the hope it would give the bread an added volume. Although the bread did not rise to the oven roof it was still a delightfully light bread. I still am debating to myself whether this was a step really required. Perhaps if you beat the eggs well with separating it would still work. As long as you get enough air in the eggs, it would hopefully add to the lift.
I find that with gluten free baking you need every help to get an extra lift into the bread and the whisked eggs whites can only help. You can see pockets of air in the bread from the photos too.
This keto Parmesan bread recipe is delicious sliced and toasted. You could slather some toasted slices with garlic butter for a taste explosion. I am now kicking myself for not trying that and only thinking of this idea as I type up the recipe. Best excuse to make another loaf I think.
Tips & Suggestions
This bread would perhaps make a great base for bruschetta. Sliced, toasted or griddled, then slathered with tomato and basil.
Try other herbs in place of thyme. Basil or oregano would work
Parmesan Thyme Bread
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons thyme chopped
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk
- 5 medium eggs separated
- ¼ cup olive or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Grease a 1lb (45g) loaf tin and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix the coconut flour, thyme, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, salt and psyllium husk powder together.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff peaks appear.
- Add the egg yolks to the coconut flour mixture and combine well.
- Add the oil and stir well.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and mix thoroughly.
- Gently fold the whisked egg whites into the mixture.
- Add the boiling water and stir well.
- Pour into the baking tin and bake for 45 minutes until firm.
Nutritional Info per slice: 194 Calories, 14g Fat, 9g Protein, 9g Total Carbs, 6g Fibre, 3g Net Carbs Any nutritional analysis on the website is based on an estimate, calculated by http://nutritiondata.self.com from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information
Leave a Reply