These easy low carb zucchini halloumi fritters are quick to cook and make a great appetizer or lunch. Made with a few ingredients and flavoured with thyme, they are great with a dip.
Although I enjoy my keto zucchini fritters with Feta cheese, I have used grated Halloumi cheese with this recipe because Halloumi is a great cheese to fry. It holds up great too. The zucchini fritters are best served as soon as they are cooked but are great cold too. I happily munched on a couple the next day for breakfast. Next time I’ll have any leftovers with my morning eggs.
I used oat fiber to bind the mixture for the zucchini fritters as it is a great low carb substitute for flour. Almond flour and coconut flour could be used instead. I’ve made this recipe with all 3, but I liked how the fritters formed with oat fiber.
What is oat fiber?
Oat fiber is great for keto cooking as it is pure fiber with no carbs. It is an insoluble fibre made after grinding the oat’s hull. The colour can range from golden to white and I recommend the white as it has a much milder taste. It’s gluten free, low carb and great for absorbing liquid, making it a great option for these low carb zucchini fritters.
How do you make keto zucchini fritters?
Just a few ingredients make these tasty fritters. Some zucchini fritter recipes use an egg but I found that the mixture did not need it thanks to the oat fibre. If your mixture is too dry, go ahead and add an egg
The ingredients for this recipe are:
- Zucchini – I used a medium one that yielded over a cup of grated zucchini.
- Halloumi – A great firm cheese from Cyprus that grates well without becoming soft.
- Oat fiber – a great low carb alternative to flour. I ordered mine online.
- Spring onions - finely chopped they add a great flavour.
- Thyme – This herb works great with zucchini and Halloumi.
Tips & suggestions
I do recommend that you chill the fritters before cooking them. It helps firm them but if you are in a hurry, through caution to the wind and fire up the frying pan!
Try other herbs in place of the thyme. Basil, mint and dill are great choices
If you can’t find oat fiber, coconut flour and almond flour are a great replacement. Add amounts gradually until you have a mixture firm enough to make a patty shape.
Serve the zucchini halloumi fritters with mayonnaise, aioli or a spicy chilli sauce. Chopped dill in Greek Yoghurt would be great too.
Other low carb fritters to enjoy
Keto Zucchini Halloumi Fritters
- 100 grams Halloumi cheese
- 1 ½ cups zucchini, grated about 1 medium zucchini
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup oat fiber
- 1 tablespoon thyme, dried
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Squeeze the water from the grated zucchini (I use a nut bag but a muslin cloth will work). Squeeze every drop out!
- Grate the Halloumi using the larger hole of the grater.
- In a bowl add the zucchini, halloumi, chopped spring onions, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the oat fiber and stir well. If the mixture is too wet, add more oat fiber.
- Form the zucchini mixture into 8 patties and place in the fridge for 30 to chill and firm.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat and cook the zucchini fritters for 2 minutes each side until golden.
- Serve with a dip or sauce.