Start your day off right with this tasty and nutritious keto protein porridge recipe. Packed with protein, fiber and other essential nutrients, a bowl of this dairy-free porridge will keep you energized and full until lunchtime.
With 21 grams of protein and 4 grams net carbs in a serving, this makes a great low carb, gluten-free and high protein breakfast to start your day. Creamy and delicious too!
It was a rare cold day here with the rain battering against the windows and as I was trying to find warmer clothing, I had an urge for porridge for breakfast. A bowl of this protein porridge warmed me up as well as giving the comfort I needed. Below is a photo I took that morning. I feel cold just looking at it!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Why you will love it
A bowl of this keto porridge is just like the real thing but without the carbs. It's thick and creamy and very filling. Starting your day with a protein-packed breakfast can curb your appetite and reduce the likelihood of unhealthy snacking later in the day.
Preparing protein porridge is relatively quick and straightforward. It can be an excellent option for busy mornings when you want a nutritious breakfast without spending too much time in the kitchen.
Why add protein powder?
Adding protein powder to porridge is a convenient and effective way to boost the protein content of your breakfast. It also helps thicken the mixture along with the other low carb ingredients, giving this recipe a texture like the real thing!
Protein powder comes in various forms, including whey protein, plant-based protein and collagen protein. This allows you to choose a protein powder that aligns with your dietary preferences, whether you're vegetarian, vegan, or follow specific dietary restrictions.
Reach into your keto pantry for a bowl of hearty porridge. The ingredients can be tweaked to your own taste too. Feel free to add a pinch of salt if you prefer your porridge with it.
- Almond milk - swap with coconut milk for a higher fat and calorie porridge.
- Ground flax seeds - you can grind your own flaxseeds or purchase it ready ground.
- Low carb sweetener - we use allulose but any other low carb sweetener such as monkfruit or Swerve can be use.
- Protein powder - we used a vanilla whey protein powder, but you could use plain, or chocolate flavor.
- Coconut flour - helps the texture become more like a porridge.
- Hemp seeds - Hemp seeds are a nutritional powerhouse, packed with essential nutrients like protein, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. We use them in our hemp seed oatmeal recipe too.
- Chia seeds - Chia seeds are an excellent source of dietary fiber, both soluble and insoluble.
- Vanilla - gives an added sweetness.
How to make keto protein porridge
This is an easy low carb breakfast to make on a cold day or when you want to start your day with low carb comfort food.
Heat the almond milk on the stove.
Mix all dry ingredients together.
Add the dry ingredients and vanilla to the warm milk.
Stir until you have a porridge consistency.
Protein porridge recipe tips
Experiment with different protein powder flavors to find your favorite. Vanilla and chocolate are popular choices.
If the porridge mixture is too thick, add more almond milk. If it is too runny, add more coconut flour.
Adjust the sweetness to your liking with your preferred sweetener.
To enhance the flavor, consider adding a pinch of cinnamon, cardamon or a dash of cocoa powder to the mixture while cooking.
A bowl by itself is delicious by try serving it with low carb maple syrup, fresh blueberries, chopped nuts, unsweetened coconut or an sprinkling of hemp heart seeds. A dollop of Greek yogurt or peanut butter would be an extra protein boost.
Keto Protein Porridge
- Place the coconut milk (or almond milk) in a saucepan on a medium heat and heat until the edges start to bubble.
- In a medium bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Place the dry ingredients into the saucepan of coconut milk and stir to mix thoroughly. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Pour your protein-packed porridge into a bowl, top with nuts and berries and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.