A cranberry feta dough ball mixture that is great for the festive season. Or any time you have some cranberries about too! Baked using coconut flour ensuring that these dough balls are low carb and gluten free.
This recipe was created purely as I wanted to bake some dough balls in a Christmas tree shape. The challenge though, was what to flavour them with. I wanted them to be a bit more special than garlic and cheese, although very good flavours and a crowd pleaser. Since I have a jar of cranberry chia jam in my fridge I wanted to use that and my thoughts went to Feta cheese to go with this. The result looked as colourful as I wanted and a lovely flavour combination. There is something about cranberries with cheese which I love at this time of the year!
Although I had my heart set on making a Christmas tree shape for the fun of it, I was also tempted to make a seasonal wreath shape. The Christmas tree shape won though as it was my first thought and I had doodles of it in my recipe note book. If you go for the wreath shape, you could serve it with a dip in the centre. Another cheesy dip?
If you don’t want to make the cranberry chia jam, you could replace this with cooked cranberries. Just make sure that the cranberries are still quite firm as you don’t want them too mushy. Also, if you like the idea of these dough balls but are not too sure of the Feta and cranberry combination, then try it without and slather over some garlic butter once they are baked. Perhaps sprinkle with some grated Cheddar cheese and pop under the grill.
These cranberry feta dough balls are delicious warm from the oven. I was taking photos frantically as fast as I could due to the smell of them begging to be taste tested. Since the Chief Taster was at work when I baked these he didn’t eat them until later that day, so I can also confirm that they are just as delicious heated up. We had some left over, which were kept in the fridge. They made a delicious breakfast snack for me too. So, warm, reheated or cold, they are a delicious cranberry feta dough ball with a festive flavour.
Cranberry Feta Dough Balls
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup Feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tablespoons cranberry chia jam
- 1/4 cup butter, melted unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese together.
- Add the eggs and butter and mix thoroughly.
- Add the coconut flour and baking powder and mix until you almost have a dough like texture.
- Add the Feta cheese and cranberry chia jam, gently mixing this throughout the dough.
- Using your hands (clean!) make 15 even shaped balls for the tree shape. Anything left over can be used as the trunk if need be.
- Place the balls on a parchment covered baking tin in the shape of a Christmas Tree. You could try a festive wreath too!
- Bake for 30-35 until firm and golden.