These low carb apple roses cupcakes look elegant and complicated but actually are easy to make. Made with coconut flour and flavoured with cinnamon they are a delicious low carb and gluten free cupcake
Thin slices of apple are placed in the cupcake batter to resemble a rose. The result is a wonderfully moist cinnamon cupcake with an apple topping. These cupcakes smell tempting when baking too!
When I showed these to the Chief Taster I received the double edged compliment of "I didn't know you could cook so elegantly". If anyone needs him, he can be contacted on the sofa until further notice.
Are apples keto?
Before the keto police gather their pick forks, apples are not strictly keto at they are 11.4g net carbs per 100g. However, this recipe uses one apple and thinly slices it. Distributed between 6 cupcakes the whole recipe works out to be just 4g net carbs each cupcake.
How to make low carb apple roses cupcakes
Making the roses is as simple as placing the apple slices into the cupcake mixture and layering them within each other. Visual steps of how to do this is below.
The cupcake batter is an easy coconut flour recipe that I use. This recipe makes just 6 cupcakes so you may want to double the quantities if you want to bake a larger batch.
- Coconut flour (if want to use almond flour, I've listed a suggestion in the recipe tips below).
- Monkfruit - I used brown monkfruit for a deeper flavour to go with the cinnamon. Regular white sweetener will work out just fine too.
- Apple - Red was used for the colour but green will be just as pretty.
- Almond milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking powder & salt
Making the apple roses
- Remove the core of the apple and cut into thin slices. Place the slices in a bowl with water and lemon and microwave for 3 minutes to soften them. They need to be soft to roll and taste better too.
- Pour the coconut flour cake batter into cupcake liners.
- Star with the larger apple slices and place them on the outer edge of the cupcake.
- Place more slices inside the outside slices.
- For the center, roll a small apple slice and place that in the centre of the cupcake.
- Ready to bake!
Slice the apple pieces as thin as you can for a delicate apple rose.
Lightly dust the apple slices in cinnamon before assembly for a stronger cinnamon taste.
Almond flour could be used in place of coconut flour. I would recommend the recipe for my strawberry muffins for the cupcake batter. Then add the apple slices. This cupcake recipe makes more cupcakes so you may need to adjust the quantities.
More low carb cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
This recipe was originally posted in August 2016. I've updated the photos and content but the recipe remains the same.
Apple Roses Cupcake
- 5 oz red apple core removed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Blend the butter, eggs, erythritol, vanilla essence and coconut milk.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and whisk until the batter is smooth
- Pour the batter into cupcake cups.
- Slice the apple into quarter and remove the pips and core.
- Thinly slice the apple and place in a bowl with the lemon and water.
- Cook the apple slices in a microwave for 3 minutes to soften the slices.
- Gently place the apple slices into the cupcake batter with the peeled edge on the top. Start on the outside and place the slices inside each other to produce a rose effect.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until firm.
- Eat and enjoy!