A low carb chia seed recipe with tomatoes and chilli makes a great spicy low carb relish. Slather this spicy chia relish over burgers, a cucumber canape, keto crackers or serve with your cheese board.
This chia jam is different to many other that you will see because it is savoury not sweet. It's the perfect low carb burger relish for the summer.The addition of chili to this tomato jam makes gives a lift of flavour. It's not too hot but gives the right about of tingle on your palate.
I love to serve this chia relish with a cheese board and low carb crackers. As well as my wine jelly, it's a must addition to any gathering. Any cheese board at my house will always feature this tomato jam. It might get lost in the range of cheeses and side dishes, but I know it's there to enjoy!
How to make tomato jam with chia seeds
This tomato chia seed jam recipe is so easy to make and just has a few ingredients:
- Chia seeds - great seeds to thicken the jam and make this a savoury relish.
- Tomatoes - ensure they are ripe. The better your ingredients, the better the flavour.
- Onion - a small white onion, chopped helps for the texture and flavour of the relish. Red onion would be a great substitute.
- Garlic - I have put one clove but add more if you love your garlic.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - This gives the relish a great sharp taste without being overpowering
- Dried Chilli Flakes - If you love your heat, up the quantity.
- Erythitol - Other low carb sweeteners will work just as well
- Salt & pepper - which recipe does not include this combo?!
The best thing about a chia jam is how easy it is to make. All ingredients but the chia seeds are heated in a saucepan. The chia seeds are used as a thickener.
Store this savoury chia jam in the refrigerator in a sealed container. It should last about a week.
Feel free to add other flavouring to this great savoury chia jam. Perhaps a dash of cumin or lemon juice.
Other chia recipes
Tomato Chilli Chia Jam
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 5 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon erythritol or other low carb sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place all the ingredients (apart from the chia seeds) in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chia seeds.
- Set aside and allow to cool and thicken.
- Slather over everything!
Join the friendliest keto & low carb recipe and support Facebook Group HERE!