This savoury roulade recipe has a Greek salad filling to make a light and tasty lunch, perfect for a Summer’s day.
A roulade is an elegant and easy way to make an egg dish. If you are following a low carb diet and start getting bored of plain eggs and omelettes, try a roulade! It only takes 15 minutes to bake and can be quickly assembled. I find this a great dish when having friends over as it looks as if I made an effort without having to spend too long in the kitchen.
You can use any lettuce for this Greek salad. A romaine lettuce would give it a great crunch, but I used a locally grown St Lucia lettuce. It is like romaine but more importantly supports local produce.
How to make a savoury roulade
The key to a firm but soft roulade is ensuring that the egg whites are whipped to full and firm peaks. Ensure that you are gentle when folding the whipped egg whites into the mixture too. When rolling out the roulade be gentle and use the parchment paper you baked it in to help roll it up. Before rolling the savoury roulade, placing it onto a slightly damp tea towel can help too.
You do need something to bind the ingredients for this savoury roulade when it is rolled otherwise it will fall out. Although I used mayonnaise for this, softened cream cheese would make a delicious alternative
The filling is a delicious mix of olives, grated cucumber, tomato and salty Feta cheese. I added fresh basil purely as that’s the special ingredient in my Greek salad recipe that always gets rave reviews.
An egg roulade rolls better than a cake when cool but if the worse comes to the worse and the roulade cracks when you roll it, slather the cracks with a bit of cheese and decorated it! Keep your kitchen disasters a dirty secret just between us.
Other Savoury Roulade Recipes
Greek Salad Savoury Roulade
- 6 eggs separated
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted melted
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese crumbled
- 8 black olives chopped
- 2 small tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup lettuce shredded
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cucumber grated
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Grease and line a rectangle baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and add the butter, Parmesan cheese, Cheddar cheese, and seasoning.
- Gently fold in the egg whites until the mixture is combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tray and spoon out evenly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until firm and golden.
- Roll out the roulade onto a parchment sheet and allow to cool.
ASSEMBLE THE ROULADE
- Remove the top layer of parchment paper.
- Spread the mayonnaise over the roulade.
- Scatter the fillings over the roulade.
- From the small edge of the roulade and using the parchment paper underneath, gently roll the roulade up into a Swiss Roll shape.
- Trim off any edges for neatness.
- Slice, eat and enjoy!