This is a lovely low carb version of Gnocchi made with coconut flour. They are yummy with a tomato sauce, but you could have them with melted butter and fresh herbs too. When cooking them in water, they sink then float, just like the original recipe.
However, the floating to the surface does not mean that they are cooked like the potato version. They take about 3-4 minutes to cook.
How to make the gnocchi
I've had the same results every time I have made these but a few people have had crumbly results. So, below is a step by step guide with photos.
Mix the coconut flour and beaten eggs well. I use Bob's Red Mill coconut flour. It has a less "coconutty" taste and a fine texture.
Add the Parmesan, garlic powder and salt and mix well into a dough. I used dried Parmesan cheese. Not the fresh. The fresh would fall apart.
Mix into a dough, ensuring it's firm.
Place the dough on a sheet of clingfilm and roll into a long sausage shape.
Wrap up with the clingfilm and place in the refrigerator. Chill the dough for a minimum of 30 minutes. Try overnight for best results. Chilling is key.
Place the gnocchi into a saucepan of boiling water, reduce the heat and cook for 4-5 minutes. They will float when ready, remove with a slotted spoon.
Slather with a sauce of your choice or butter and herbs.
Other Gnocchi Recipes
Coconut Flour Gnocchi
- 3 medium eggs beaten
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (dried) grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Mix the coconut flour and beaten eggs well.
- Add the Parmesan, garlic powder and salt and mix well into a dough.
- Place the dough on a sheet of clingfilm and roll into a long sausage shape.
- Wrap up with the clingfilm and place in the refrigerator. Chill the dough for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil.
- Remove the Gnocchi dough from the refrigerator and cut into small bite sized pieces.
- Place the pieces into the boiling water, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat until all gnocchi are cooked.
- Top with the sauce of your choice.
- Makes about 8-10 gnocchi