This moist and tasty coconut flour chocolate cake is filled and topped with a keto chocolate cream cheese frosting. A keto mini cake for two people if you don't want to bake a large 8 inch cake for just yourself. A low carb and gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, sugar-free chocolate cake you can share or enjoy for yourself.
If you are looking for a nut-free alternative to my almond flour chocolate cake, this is the recipe for you! And I receive many requests for a chocolate coconut flour cake, so here it is but in a smaller size.
As well as being a great moist coconut flour chocolate cake, this recipe includes a delicious and creamy keto chocolate cream cheese frosting. Whether you use this for this coconut flour chocolate is up to you but you could use the frosting on cupcakes too.
Regular followers will know my love for coconut flour and how it's my one of my favorite low carb flour. I will confess that when I first started baking with coconut flour it was a disaster as I could not come to terms how little you had to use with so much liquid. However, once I found my coconut flour baking groove, there has been no stopping me.
- Keto mini cake
- Carbs in Coconut Flour
- Coconut Flour Cake Ingredients
- How to make coconut flour chocolate cake
- Storing and freezing coconut flour chocolate cake
- Keto chocolate cream cheese frosting
- Keto chocolate frosting ingredients
- How to make chocolate cream cheese frosting
- Recipe Tips
- More low carb cake recipes with coconut flour
- Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake
Keto mini cake
Many keto households may have just one or two people following this diet. It occurred to me that many keto cake recipes are made for 8 inch cake tins and you may have to freeze most of it to stop you devouring it all yourself.
So, making a smaller cake in 4 inch cake pans is an easier option and the great thing about the recipe card below is that it's just a click of the button to increase the recipe for a larger size.
Carbs in Coconut Flour
I am a huge fan of coconut flour for most sweet desserts as well as savoury flatbreads. I find it more suitable for sweet desserts as some brands may have a slightly coconut taste to them. The cocoa in this recipe ensures that you have no coconut flavour. Just moist chocolate cake!
A 1oz (28g) serving of coconut flour has just 8g net carbohydrates which matches almond flour. But it has a higher fiber content which I find makes you feel fuller after devouring a slice of this keto mini cake too!
I ate one quarter after taking the photographs of this keto chocolate cake as part of my "taste testing" and I was full. The Chief Taster devoured half of this in one sitting so I guess it's different sizes for everyone! He did also say he felt full too though!
Coconut Flour Cake Ingredients
Just a few basic keto pantry items are used for this keto coconut flour chocolate cake recipe. For the low carb sweetener we have used allulose, purely as a personal preference, but any other low carb sweetener can be used.
How to make coconut flour chocolate cake
For this easy keto coconut flour cake, the butter must be softened at room temperature. It makes it easier to whisk and add to the other ingredients with no lumps.
For the sweetener we used allulose as it's our current favorite low carb sweetener. We find it does not have the icy aftertaste that some brands of erythritol have but you can use your favourite low carb sweetener instead.
It's a simple recipe but because this is a keto cake for one or two people we used two 4 inch spring form cake tins to make it. I like how cute it looks as well as one slice being filling too.
- Whisk the softened butter and low carb sweetener until blended.
- Add the eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients until blended.
- If the mixture looks too thick (brands of coconut flour can vary) add additional almond milk or water.
- Prepare and line two 4 inch springform cake tins.
- Spoon the cake mixture in between the two cake tins and bake.
Storing and freezing coconut flour chocolate cake
Once the cake is baked and frosted it should be kept in the refrigerator in a sealed container. It will last up to 4 days without becoming too dry.
To freeze this coconut flour cake, ideally it should be frozen without the frosting. The cake sponges could be frozen in an airtight container or zip lock bag for up to 3 months.
Defrost the chocolate cake sponges at room temperature and then you are ready to frost it!
Keto chocolate cream cheese frosting
A keto chocolate cream cheese frosting was used in these photos and I've included the recipe for this in the recipe card below. It's entirely optional and you could use the frosting you prefer or even just whipped cream.
I found that the volume of the chocolate cream cheese frosting was more than enough for this cake and I had a lot left over. You could use any leftovers for cupcakes or muffins. Or freeze any leftovers as a quick an easy ice cream.
Keto chocolate frosting ingredients
Just a few low carb ingredients make this keto frosting that can be adapted for other recipes. Omit the cocoa and substitute it with vanilla.
For the sweetener we used allulose as it comes already powdered. A powdered low carb sweetener mixes quicker in a frosting without the surprise crunch of a granular. If you only have granular, process it in a coffee grinder for a powdered texture.
How to make chocolate cream cheese frosting
The key to this tasty keto chocolate cream cheese frosting is that the butter and cream cheese should be softened at room temperature. This ensures no lumps and is effortless to whisk too. However for me, room temperature is about 29 Celsius/84 Fahrenheit so it means just 5 minutes outside the refrigerator!
The coffee in this cream cheese frosting brings out the chocolate taste but can be omitted. We used leftover brewed coffee but a shot of espresso or a couple of tablespoons or instant coffee will be fine.
- Whisk the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue to whisk
- A smooth but thick frosting will be made.
- Spoon it on and over your chocolate cake.
Coconut flour brands can vary in cooking results with some being more absorbent of liquids. If your cake batter is too thick add additional almond milk or even a tablespoon or two of water. You want a smooth cake mixture.
This could make a small low carb birthday cake too. Have fun and sprinkle the chocolate frost top with low carb chocolate shavings or chocolate chips.
A sugar-free chocolate ganache would make a great topping to this mini keto chocolate cake too!
To make this chocolate cake dairy free, swap the butter with coconut oil.
More low carb cake recipes with coconut flour
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake
Coconut Flour Cake
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup cocoa sugar free
- ½ cup cream whipping/heavy
- ⅓ cup allulose or other low carb sweetener
- 2 tablespoons coffee, instant or espresso
Make the Coconut Flour Cake
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Line two 4-inch springform cake tins with parchment paper
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the butter with the allulose or other low carb sweetener until creamy
- Add the eggs and continue to whisk.
- Add the coconut flour, cocoa, almond milk, salt and baking powder and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the two tins
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the sponge is firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the baking tins for 5 minutes.
- Remove the coconut flour sponge cakes from the tin and set aside to completely cool.
Make the Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a medium bowl add the softened cream cheese and butter and whisk until smooth.
- Add the low carb sweetener, cream, cocoa powder and coffee and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Place one of the cake sponges on a serving plate. Spoon and spread out a few tablespoons of the chocolate buttercream evenly.
- Place the other cake sponge on top of the buttercream and slather more of the chocolate buttercream on top. You could also slather the buttercream on the side of the cake too.
- Slice and serve