An almond chocolate cake that has no flour but all the taste of a delicious chocolate cake. A great gluten free and low carb cake.
You would never know that flour is missing from this cake. It is light, moist and tasty! Almond flour is a fabulous high protein, low carb, gluten free, high fibre alternative to flour. You could bake this cake without the cocoa powder for a plain cake but I was hankering for some chocolate and this way it did not raise the carbs too much either. The cake did not last a day. Perhaps next time I will bake two…
I have baked this using erthyritol and once using coconut sugar too as I use sugar subsistutes. All seemed to work well. The erthyritol keeps the cake low in carbs too!
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup erthyritol (or other sugar substitute)
4 eggs, separated
2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup erthyritol (or other sugar substitute)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Cream the butter and 1/2 cup of sugar substitute until light and fluffy.
- Add the four egg yolks and mix well.
- Add the cocoa powder and ONE cup of the almond flour and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the four egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add the 1/4 cup of sugar substitute and continue whisking.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the cake batter and all the remaining cup of almond flour. Blend well.
- Pour the cake batter into a cake pan, lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!