This keto almond flour chocolate cake has all the taste of a delicious chocolate cake but is low carb and gluten free too.
If you can wait, this almond flour chocolate cake tastes better the next day. Although it is delicious freshly made, if you store it in the fridge overnight, it develops a richer texture. I recommend you try a slice fresh that day you bake it and another the next morning purely for research purposes..ahem!
What's an almond flour chocolate cake?
You would never know that flour is missing from this cake. An almond flour chocolate cake is simply almond flour, cocoa, erythritol (or the low carb sweetener of your choice), butter and eggs. It is light, moist and tasty!
Almond flour is a fabulous high protein, low carb, gluten free, high fibre alternative to flour. Add unsweetened cocoa powder and you have a delicious low carb chocolate cake.
How to make a chocolate cake with almond flour
When baking with a low carb flour I often separate the eggs and whisk the eggs whites into peaks. These are then gently folded into the cake mixture to help give the cake an extra lift. When you are baking without gluten and using a low carb flour, you need all the help you can get with raising the cake.
I served my cake with a chocolate ganache on top. I mixed warm cream with low carb chocolate chips and let it firm up. Then I poured it over the chocolate cake (which was rather satisfying).
Other almond flour cake recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
This recipe was originally published in August 2012. I have updated the photos and tweaked the recipe.
Almond Flour Chocolate Cake
- 8 inch spring form cake tin
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Whisk the butter and ½ cup of sugar substitute until light and fluffy.
- Add the four egg yolks and continue to whisk.
- Add the cocoa powder, almond flour, salt and baking powder and whisk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the four egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whisked eggs whites into the cake batter
- Pour the cake batter into a cake pan, lined with parchment paper and bake for 25-30 minutes until the cake is firm.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.