This is a simple flourless chocolate cake with only 5 ingredients. Since one of them is vanilla extract you could almost say it was 4!
This was one of my first flourless chocolate cakes I baked and I've recently baked it again initially to improve the photos I originally had. I had forgotten what a joyous, fudge-like explosion of chocolate this cake was! It is rich, gooey and also amazing the next day. Who needs flour when you can have chocolate. It tastes so sinful it will have you lighting up a cigarette and phoning the nearby Priest....
The beauty of this cake is that it is very easy to make. Even the Chief Taster could make this without having to call in the professionals to deal with a damaged kitchen. It is simplicity itself, but serve it to guests and pretend you slaved for hours baking it. It'll be our secret....
FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE
This flourless chocolate cake is simply chocolate, butter, eggs and a powdered low carb sweetener. You could add nuts to this if you wanted but it's divine just by itself. If you can't find a powdered low carb sweetener, just run the one you have in a coffee grinder or food processor to make a powder.
I've shown the nutritional information per 16 pieces since it is a very rich cake you may just want one thin slice. Cut a piece and judge yourself! I used 70% cocoa solids and based the nutritional values on that. Ideally for a low carb chocolate cake you will want to use sugar free chocolate or as high as cocoa solids as you can get and adjust the nutritional information accordingly. Substituting the chocolate with cocoa powder does not really work either. You need the volume of the chocolate to make the cake deliciously fudge like.
HOW TO SERVE FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE
Athough this flourless chocolate cake is delicious warm and almost like a brownie straight from the oven, I implore you to chill it for at least 8 hours or overnight. The chilling time helps this chocolate cake work it's magic and it becomes a more fudge-like and dense chocolate cake.
Before you serve the cake, allow it to reach room temperature so it doesn't crack when slicing. Although our room temperature might be a bit warmer than yours! It takes me 5 minutes for the cake to be perfect for serving when taken out of the fridge. I do recommend a dollop of whipped cream or low carb vanilla ice cream with this too.
This flourless chocolate cake is so delicious that you will be murmuring "if loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right" as you find a quiet corner to enjoy the last piece.
OTHER CHOCOLATE DESSERTS TO TRY:
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 2 ½ cups chocolate 70% cocoa solids minimum
- ½ cup butter, unsalted
- 6 medium eggs separated
- ½ cup erythritol, powdered low carb sweetener
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Line a 20 cm springform cake tin with baking parchment.
- Melt the chocolate with the butter over a Bain Marie or in the microwave. Stir until smooth and set aside to slightly cool.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks and erythritol until the mixture is thick and pale.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg yolk mixture and stir well.
- Gently fold in the egg whites and stir until the chocolate mixture is combined.
- Put the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 25 minutes until set in the centre. Cool in the tin.
- Place in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.