A low carb chocolate mousse cake that is a delicious trio of chocolate. A dessert for celebrations, family gatherings and holidays.
This chocolate mousse cake was lighter than I had initially expected. The coconut sponge cake is not heavy, and the chocolate mousse is easy on the palate too. I used a chocolate ganache for the topping, but you could opt to leave this out and perhaps sprinkle a dusting of cocoa powder instead.
This was one of my recipes that I had initially just put together without noting the ingredients and quantities, then kicking myself as the end results was delicious and definitely “blog worthy”. I had a friend visiting the island and wanted an easy dessert that could be made ahead of his arrival. Knowing he loves chocolate, I threw his together and then cursed myself for not remembering exactly what I did to make this chocolate mousse cake. Eventually I had a play and came up with this version.
If you want to serve this on the same day of baking it, make this first thing in the morning. By the early evening, the chocolate mousse and ganache will have set whilst the chocolate cake will still be fresh and light.
The rum used in this chocolate mousse cake is purely optional but almost essential in the Caribbean! I sprinkled some rum over the cooked chocolate sponge cake and added a dash or two to the chocolate mousse. The rum flavour was not overpowering but gave this chocolate mousse cake a holiday flavour!
This cake is a must for chocolate lovers and could be happily served up to your family and friends without them knowing it’s a sugar free and grain free option. At the end of the day it’s purely a low carb chocolate cake with a chocolate mousse topping and garnished with a chocolate ganache! Three levels of chocolate goodness to enjoy!
Other Low Carb Mousse Cakes You May Enjoy
Chocolate Mousse Cake
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 5 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup erythritol
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted softened
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 5 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1.5 cups whipping cream
- 1.25 cups chocolate chips semi sweet
- 3 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 0.5 cup chocolate chips semi sweet
MAKING THE CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Grease and line an 8 inch springform cake tin with parchment paper
- In a bowl, mix the butter and erythritol and blend well.
- Add the egg yolks and coconut milk. Combine until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and whisk until smooth
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the cake mixture.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the cake tin and smooth over evenly with a spoon.
- Bake for 30 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool
MAKE THE MOUSSE
- Melt the chocolate in a Bain Marie (or you could zap it in the microwave).
- In another bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks
- Fold the cream into the melted chocolate and mix gently.
- Add the rum and stir.
- Spoon over the cake sponge evenly.
- Chill for at least 2 hours until firm.
MAKE THE GANACHE TOPPING
- Make the ganache topping by bringing the cream to a boil in a pan.
- Break up the chocolate and place in a bowl.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and whip until smooth.
- Let cool slightly and then slather over the chocolate mousse.
- Return to the fridge and chill for at least an hour.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: Check on Amazon