A brussel sprout gratin that teams up with cauliflower. Topped with pinenuts and cheese with a sprinkling of low carb breadcrumbs this is a hearty side dish.
Brussel sprouts to me are normally something that is served to me during the festive season, and usually either boiled to an inch of it’s life or hard enough to chip a tooth. This is a nicer way of eating them and is a great side dish. If you want to trick your family and friends into eating brussel sprouts…then serve this! It’s creamy, full of flavour and far nicer than a plain serving of sprouts!
I use breadcrumbs from one of my low carb coconut flour bread rolls for the topping. You could omit this or replace it with another low carb bread. The pine nuts give it a nice crunch and added flavour. You could try this with other nuts, pecan might be a nice alternative. Anyone who thinks they “hate” brussel sprouts may be persuaded by this dish. I sprinkle sage in all of the layers to give it extra seasoning, but this is just a matter of taste. To help with the panic of cooking during the festive season, this dish can be assembled the day before. Just keep the topping separate, then put together on the day of cooking.
This is a large dish and would make about 8 portions. You will need to scale it down for a smaller serving. Or spend a few days eating your way through this!
- 500 grams Brussel sprouts trimmed and cut into quarters
- 1 Cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 cups Cream Double/heavy
- 1 Onion peeled & chopped
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoon Sage chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Bread roll - low carb/gluten free Made into breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Pine nuts lightly toasted
- 3 cups Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter and gently cook the onion until golden.
- Add the cream and half the sage and boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly butter a glass baking dish.
- Place half of sprouts and cauliflower florets in the dish.
- Season with salt and pepper (I also used sage here, but that’s my choice and up to you).
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups Parmesan over the vegetables.
- Place the remaining vegetables in the dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over them.
- Pour the cream mixture over the vegetables.
- Cover the vegetables in the baking dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- In a frying pan, heat up the olive oil and add the breadcrumbs. Stir until brown.
- Remove from the heat and add the pine nuts and remaining sage. Mix well.
- When the vegetables have cooked for 45 minutes, remove the foil and add the breadcrumb and nut mixture.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!