A cauliflower chocolate cake that uses cooked cauliflower as you would a carrot cake. It’s a healthy, creative way to make a dessert with cauliflower.
Cauliflower in a cake? Madness I hear you cry! I thought so too when I came across a few cauliflower brownie recipes and just had to give it a try. So baked a cake out of it. The cauliflower cannot be tasted (thankfully in this case!) but helps give a moist and delicious cake. You could bake this in another tin and serve it as brownies too.
Your first question may be “does it taste like cauliflower?” but the answer is no. The cauliflower gives an added moisture to the cake as well as a conversation starter. If you can bake a delicious cake out of carrot and zucchini why not cauliflower? It is the versatile vegetable after all.
I took this cake into work, offered it, watched everyone eat it, then told them of the mystery ingredient. No-one guessed. Then again my office is cake hungry and come 4pm it’s a sugar rush of angry tigers.
I thought about spreading a chocolate topping over this, but I think it would be too rich. The cake was just moreish warm and the Chief taster was very surprised about the mystery ingredient. No one will guess it!!
- 1 cup Cauliflower grated
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 50 grams Dark chocolate
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 3 tablespoon low carb sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees.
- Lightly oil a 7 inch springform cake tin.
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Place the raw cauliflower in a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth. Add the coconut milk and blend thoroughly.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a Bain Marie (bowl over simmering water).
- Add the cauliflower mixture and add the eggs, vanilla, sweetener and cream cheese. Blend well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 30 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
[amazon_link asins=’B00OZQF0CS,B00012NHAC,B01I8AEUDQ,B00DS842HS’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’divaliciou04c-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a0cd2b6c-8165-11e7-ad58-a75f66b9ff0c’]